[missbird] ROCK WREN at Grand Bay NERR

  • From: Jake Walker <jakenwalker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbird <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "eskimmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <eskimmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:18:53 -0700 (PDT)

Birders-

I just observed a Rock Wren at the Grand Bay NERR.  It was first skulking
around on and under our handicapped access ramp on the side of our building.  I
pulled out my bins and got a good look at it perched on our ramp, then up on
some fencing by the building.  I followed it under the building, where it flew
over to a big stack of cement-fiber siding and sat on top of it calling.  The
call was very distinct, and much unlike any of our regular wrens.  It started
scolding me some while I was watching it, then it disappeared into a narrow
crack between two stacks of siding.

At this point the bird was on the other side of a chain link fence from me, so
I ran inside to grab a camera, and then back down and around the fence hoping
that the wren would find something in the stack of siding to keep it occupied
for a while.  Unfortunately it had moved on, so I searched everywhere under our
building but could not relocate it.  I have no playback to use here, but it
might respond if anyone wants to give it a shot.  I will give an update if I
see it again this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Good Birding!

Jake Walker
Ocean Springs, MS