[missbird] Re: Puskus Lake - Cerulean Warblers

  • From: "Joan Clarke" <clarkes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsknight@xxxxxxxxxx>, <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 12:14:23 -0500

I think this is a Cerulean Spring. We also had a Cerulean pass through our yard this morning.

Joan Clarke
Vicksburg

-----Original Message----- From: Gene Knight
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:22 AM
To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [missbird] Re: Puskus Lake - Cerulean Warblers

JR and MISSBIRDERS,

This may be the year of the Cerulean Warbler--at least up here in N MS.
With multiple sightings at Rowan Oak/Bailey's Woods (Oxford, MS) this
week AND 2 singing males just this morning at the Knight's Yard this
warbler may be on the rebound.

Gene Knight
Oxford, MS

On 4/18/2014 10:43 AM, JR Rigby wrote:
MissBirders,

CERULEAN WARBLERS were numerous and vocal on the walking trail around Puskus Lake east of Oxford first thing this morning. I saw three for sure, but there may have been more as the song was ubiquitous along the trail. In all I tallied 15 species of warbler including FOS NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT.

Directions to Puskus Lake trail:
Take Hwy 30 approx 9mi east of Oxford to CR 2089 and turn north onto the gravel road. It's a couple of miles down the gravel road until you reach the lake. Follow signs toward the boat ramp. A walking trail leaves from the kiosk on the south side of the boat launch area. The trail is marked with blue tags. The birdiest area this morning (including CEWAs) was between the right fork in the trail and the bridge with handrails (~1/4 of mile from the parking area).

eBird list:

Good birding,

JR
Oxford