[missbird] Brown Booby search update

  • From: JR Rigby <jr.rigby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MISSBIRD <missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 20:27:53 -0600

Missbirders,

I checked for the BROWN BOOBY today on Grenada Lake. I spent about 2.5 hrs
in the area with no luck. I walked out onto the mudflat to the point
nearest the snags where Ken Hackman reported the bird and spoke to a couple
of fishermen who had been there a while. Neither of them had noticed any
odd birds (but I don't think they were paying a lot of attention). After
about an hour and half at that spot I headed down to the dam, scoped the
dam area, and then had a look around the outflow. Still no luck. Lots of
AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS, BONAPARTE'S GULLS, FORSTER'S TERNS, and
RING-BILLED GULLS as well as a smattering of waterfowl including GADWALL
and RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS.

On the way home I stopped briefly at Enid Dam with similar results.

If folks are out and about, I think chances are still pretty good that the
booby could be on one of the big lakes though, given how gulls move around
the lakes, it could be on any one of them. It's worth checking those snags
occasionally, of course, as well as the dams. But another intriguing spot
that I doubt gets checked is Wildcat Brake on the upper end of Enid Lake
(just NW of the Water Valley airport). It's a separate impoundment that
holds water year round and has lots of snags. Just an idea if anyone is
adventurous.

Good birding,

JR