[missbird] Barn Swallows

  • From: Cindy Mitchell <cmitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:34:31 -0500

I know there is nothing exciting to most birders about barn swallows, but
last week while out for a run down a gravel road adjacent to a corn field,
I saw something I had never seen before.  The field had been recently
irrigated, and a narrow ditch ran between the corn field and the gravel
road.  It was early evening, about 6:00 pm.

There must have been several hundred barn swallows, one after the
other, doing a circular flight dipping into the ditch for water and then
flying on, straight at me.  It looked exactly like a squadron of airplanes
doing touch and go landings on the deck of an aircraft carrier or a long
narrow runway. They came in from all angles and coordinated their dip into
the ditch with military like precision, then flying on and eventually
circling back to get another dip.  My presence did not seem to affect them
in any way.  It was an amazing sight.

Cindy Mitchell
Clarksdale
Coahoma County