[mirtoolbox] Re: Problems with MIRPEAKS and other...

  • From: Olivier Lartillot <olivier.lartillot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mirtoolbox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:50:58 +0200

Hello Luca,

Luca Piccina kirjoitti 14.3.2009 kello 21.33:

Hello Olivier,
thanks a lot for the reply. It's all quite clear (even if some
mathematics references will be  appreciated :) )
I have a doubt about PeriodFreq and PeriodAmp anyway:
if the periodicity is estimated peak picking for the maximum of the
(excluding lag 0, i Imagine) autocorrelation function, to output NaN
means that there is NO peak at all or that peak below a certain
threshold are discarded?

it means that there is NO peat at all. By looking at the value in PeriodAmp, you can then decide by yourself whether the peak is high enough or not.

Regards,

Olivier

2009/3/14 Olivier Lartillot <olivier.lartillot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Luca and others,
I just extended the documentation of mirstat, as follows:

If the object is frame-decomposed, the fields of the output are:

Mean: the average along frames;
Std: the standard deviation along frames;
Slope: the linear slope of the trend along frames, i.e. the derivative of
the line that would best fit the curve. The slope S is computed in a
normalised representation of the curve C – i.e., centered, with unit
variance, and with a temporal scale reduced to a series T of values between 0 and 1 – as a solution in a least-square sense of the equation S*T = C; PeriodFreq: the frequency (in Hz.) of the maximal periodicity detected in
the frame-by-frame evolution of the values, estimated through the
computation of the autocorrelation sequence. If no periodicity is detected,
NaN is returned;
PeriodAmp: the normalized amplitude of that main periodicity, i.e., such
that the autocorrelation at zero lag is identically 1.0. The first
descending slope starting from zero lag is removed from this analysis, as it
is not related to the periodicity of the curve.
PeriodEntropy: the Shannon entropy of the autocorrelation function (cf.
mirentropy).

Is it clear? Does anyone know any references related to these concepts?
Olivier
Luca Piccina kirjoitti 11.3.2009 kello 14.21:

Hello,
I am Luca from Italy and I would need some theorical references for
the statistics implemented with mirstat. It's ok with the mean and the
variance, but I'd like a better understanding of Slope, PeriodFreq,
PeriodAmp and PeriodFreq...could you please give me some references?
Thanks in advance,  best wishes

Luca