[mira_talk] mira bambus mira

  • From: Davide Sassera <davide.sassera@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:04:10 +0100

Dear Bastien,

Thanks for answering all our questions, it's just great.

My problem, briefly, is: can I do mira --> bambus --> mira? is it useful? how should I do it?

More in detail here is the situation I'm facing:

I'm currently assemblying a 3.5 Mb genome from 1 solexa lane (28M reads) and 3/4 454 paired gs-flx plate (3kb library).

I did a denovo assembly with the 454 and 5 M solexa reads (memory constraints). Then I did two mappings with the remaining solexa reads (second mapping based on contigs generated by the first mapping).
I checked the last mapping with gap4 and joined down to 100 contigs.
I then used these 100 to create a scaffold with bambus.
I got three main scaffolds, as follows.
scaff_100       67      2983086 1069841
scaff_101       9       351491  353698
scaff_99        3       156135  157239

The bambus results allowed me to go down to 84 contigs on gap4.
I cannot join more than this, I assume because I have gaps between the contigs.

I now feel I could elongate the 84 contigs I have with a novel mapping, but I'm not sure on how to proceed:

Should I use the 84 contigs as they are and hope that a novel mapping adds the reads that will allow me to join them?

Or should I use the scaffold generated by bambus using print_scaff? This second option has the advantage of piloting the joins towards what bambus says, but bambus puts a stretch on Ns between two contigs. How does mira handle this? can mira use the Ns to join the contigs or not?

thanks in advance
Davide

--
Davide Sassera
Sezione di Patologia Generale e Parassitologia