[mira_talk] Re: haplotype phasing

  • From: Adrian Pelin <apelin20@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 13:29:58 -0500

Dear Bastian,

Alright so I used the recently released version of MIRA 4.0 to assemble a
sample, and I had some PCR evidence for this sample. What I did, is that I
amplified a locus, and cloned it, sequencing 32 clones.

I am attaching a figure with obtained results. On the left I have the PCR
clones that I sequenced, the number in parenthesis is the number of clones
that had that specific haplotype. On the right I have 2 mira haplotypes
produced from small contigs, smaller than 1.5kb. As you can see the second
one is fine, it is the same 2nd one from the left figure. The first one
made by mira however, seems to be a combination between #3, than #4 or #5
and than #1.

It was not present in any of the PCR clones, so I decided to map reads to
that first haplotype made by MIRA. I mapped with the following settings, 0%
mismatch allowed, and only map paired reads, in the sense that for one read
to map, it's pair needs to map nearby as well. As you can see on the bottom
figure, the coverage sharply drops in the middle of the contig. In fact, in
that area, only 1 read supports the link between position 5 and 6 in the
haplotype (not seen in the bottom figure). No reads support the link
between position 3 and 4.

Would be very neat if MIRA could build variants and their respective
frequencies for highly polymorphic loci.

Thought I would share this.
Adrian