[mira_talk] Re: Request for help: demystifying Illumina paired-end format identifiers ... /4 ???

  • From: "Langhorst, Brad" <Langhorst@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "<mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 11:45:25 +0000

>>  <read number> will typically be 1 or 2, but the field can support other
>> values. (For example, certain indexing formats lead to 3 reads.)
>>
>> Fine, so Illumina says there can be up to 3 reads (but are not saying how
>> they name that). So why am I seeing a value of 4?
Hi… just a guess

2 insert reads
2 index reads

R1 = insert 1
R2 and R3 index reads
R4 = insert from other direction

I don't think it's bad faith for illumina to extend and add more reads … but
shifting the meaning of the names is really quite lame.

Brad
--
Brad Langhorst
Applications and Product Development Scientist