[mira_talk] Re: Question on mapping PacBio reads to reference

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 22:10:53 +0200

On 10/03/2013 09:33 PM, Foecking, Mark F. wrote:

Hello. We have a set of scaffolds that were generated from PacBio reads for a small genome, and we are trying to map these reads using the scaffolds as a reference, so we can view the resulting .ace file as a pileup in EagleView and look at frameshifts and SNPs and perhaps determine if they are real or not (without PCR/sequencing).

EagleView? ACE file? Maybe you want to use different tools ... just saying :-)

When we do this, some of the reads map to the reference (perhaps 10-15% of them) but when we open the file in EagleView, we find the reference sequence has changed -- is MIRA making a new consensus and showing that alignment?

Ummm, no, MIRA does not touch the reference sequence. Never. Maybe EagleView is recomputing a consensus on the fly?

  Is there a way of having the reads aligned to the original scaffolds?

They're always aligned to the original data :-)

Have you tried different viewers? gap4? gap5? Tablet?