[mira_talk] Parameters to assemble a microbial metatranscriptome

  • From: Alexis Blanchet-Cohen <alexis.blanchet-cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:14:49 +0000

Hi,

I would like some advice on setting the parameters for assembling de novo a
microbial metatranscriptome.

An sample was taken from the environment.

All the RNA (rRNA, tRNA, mRNA, ...) was extracted and reverse transcribed to
cDNA.

The cDNA was sent for Solexa sequencing.

I have 240 000 paired end reads of 101 bases each.

I have no means of knowing the minimum and maximum lengths of the cDNAs or the
average length.

How I set the tismin and tismax parameters?

There is no fixed insert size.

Here was my latest attempt. The values for tismin and tismax were set
arbitrarily (Ok, they were copied from the example in the manual. :))

mira --project=arctic --job=denovo,genome,accurate,solexa SOLEXA_SETTINGS
-GE:tismin=250:tismax=750

Thank you for your help,

Alexis