[mira_talk] Re: Correct 454 errors with Solexa reads?

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:55:19 +0100

On Montag 14 Dezember 2009 Björn Nystedt wrote:
> mapping Solexa with MIRA to a fasta backbone

Quick and dirty ... but already very effective when investing ~0.5 to 1 hour
per MB in editing the result of this: use different strain names for the FASTA
backbone and the Solexa reads, then search for SROc, WRMc, UNSc and IUPc.
Eventually MCVc.

> mapping Solexa with MIRA to a caf backbone

A bit slower, not by much. You might need to invest a bit more time in
editing, but the full hybrid appoach allows you to see what caused the 454
error.

> de-novo assembly with MIRA, using all data (including fake 20kb overlapping
>  reads to avoid messing up the original assembly) (slow!) mapping Solexa
>  with another software BWA/SOAP2/RMAP/Bowtie to a fasta backbone de-novo
>  assembly with Velvet, using all data (not so slow)

No idea. Can you put the Velvet result into a finishing program?

> So far we have run the mapping in MIRA to a fasta backbone, wich works
>  quite nice but not perfectly (see previous discussion on the list
>  'Alignment errors in Solexa mapping').

I think every mapper will have the same problems. If not, I need to rethink a
few things :-)