[mira_talk] Re: 500Mb assembly

  • From: Gregory Harhay <gregory.harhay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:44:21 -0600

Fillip:

How big are the repetitive regions in the insect genome?  I they are larger
than 3000 nt, your paired-end reads will only take you so far .. Your
contigs won¹t scaffold completely no matter what assembler & scaffolder you
are using as they will be chopped up by the unbridgeable repetitive regions,
unless of course, there is some other physical evidence joining the contigs.

Greg