[mira_talk] Re: 35M Solexa paired-end reads on a Linux cluster with 128Gb RAM -> out of memory :o(

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 21:25:01 +0100

On Donnerstag 18 März 2010 Martin A. Hansen wrote:
> Can I do anything about this?
> [...]
> Out of memory detected, exception message is: std::bad_alloc

Yes and no.

Strange, there shouldn't be an OOM at this stage as the memory has been pre-
allocated. But looking at the code I saw a faint possibility for memory re-
allocation of double the size of the current buffer, which in your case would
be 180 GiB. I quickly made a fix to this (and added some debugging stuff in
case this fails).

Can you please download

 http://www.chevreux.org/tmp/mira_3.0.3x1_prod_linux-gnu_x86_64_static.tar.bz2

and see whether the bug is still there (or maybe a new error message pops up)?

In any case: even if the 'fix' isn't fixing the problem, you should be able to
circumvent that particular problem by limiting the process size to something
like 50 GiB with
  -GE:mps=50

PS: Lionel is right: I currently cannot recommend Solexa only for high
coverages.