[mira_announce] Call for testing: MIRA 3.2.1.5

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 22:18:18 +0100

Dear all,

development of MIRA is happily progressing and changes to my source management
makes it now easier to make available snapshots which contain most changes
that will make their way into the next stable release.

These snapshots will not contain the latest bleeding edge new developments I
am currently working on / testing out, so they should be relatively stable as
they most of the time went through a couple of projects on my home machine
already.

So, version 3.2.1.5 begins and you'll find it at

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mira-assembler/files/MIRA/development/

Main development since 3.2.1:

- people working on *large* EST / RNASeq projects will be happy to hear that
  data sets with millions of reads (Sanger, 454 or Solexa) will now finish much
  quicker in de-novo mode. E.g., 10  million Solexa 100 bp goes down from ~10
  days to just around 2 days.
- genome mappings with tens of millions of reads are now also a lot quicker.
  E.g.: 1 day instead of almost 3 for a project with 33 million Solexas.
- mapping assemblies with lots of backbone sequences also improved noticeably
  (factor 3 or 4 iirc)
- memory needs also substantially went down. E.g.: in Solexa transcriptome 10m
  reads  @ 100bp with quite some ploidy, an internal data structure shrank
  from ~11.5 GiB to ~1 GiB.
- compilation on OSX should now be a breeze
- recognition of non-standard BOOST library installs should be much better
- lots of smaller bugfixes and tweaks to ease my life during assemblies

Feedback appreciated.

Have fun trying it out,
  Bastien

PS: oh yeah ... and from now on, pre-built OSX 64 bit binaries are part of the
deliveries and should run flawlessly on every machine >= OSX 10.5 and a 64 bit
CPU (for 32 bit versions ... compile yourself :-)