[minima] Re: the double kiss

  • From: farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx <farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: joe@xxxxxxxxxx <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>, minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 08:36:49 -0700 (PDT)

    joe,the shunt shorting will itself lead to mixing provided it is happening
for only half the cycle. during the other half, the ic end of the upper winding
is grounded. so the current will flow back from the port end into the ground in
the upper winding while the current from the mixer will flow into thr grounded
end of the lower winding. so, it works. er, so i think that it does.- f

------ Original message------From: Joe RocciDate: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 20:31To:
minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;Subject:[minima] Re: the double kissFarhan Look at the
schematic carefully. When 2A connects to 2B1, the lower half of the balun is
shorted to itself. I don't think this is what you intended, is it? The concept
schematic can work, bit I think there's something fishy in the actual
schematic.   ----- Original Message -----   From:   Ashhar   Farhan   To:
minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   Sent: Friday, September 05, 2014 10:09   AM  Subject:
[minima] Re: the double   kiss
  steve,
  you are sharp! in spite of the flu!. but let's get to the nitty   gritty.  1.
there are two pairs of complementary switches. so, u can either   connect 6 and
11 to AC ground and 5 and 10 to the IF port or vice versa. it   really doesn't
matter.  2. i had put the resistor of 470 ohms to load the Si570 output (it was
  spikey as hell on my rigol 1052). now, it is squarer. i am not sure if this
was due to the cable length. I'd ideally mount the Si570  close to the   mixer.
 3. the 6 and 11 are not connected to the transformer! look again. i just
drew them on the 'wrong' side of the chip. in the interest of clarity, i think
 i should move them to the left side of the chip. many a times, we get put off
 by a circuit just because it is confusingly drawn. someone should write a
guide to 'drawing clear radio circuits'.
  - f

  On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Steve VK2SJA <vk2sja@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Farhan,

Having trouble matching photo to     circuit diagram. Suspect errors in
schematic. Looking at image I've got 6     & 11 tied together then to a 0.1uF
to what I make as being the IF     port. But circuit diagram shows 6 & 11 on
the RF port side with the     transmission line transformer. Do we have some
pin number errors? Or am I     reading/seeing it wrong? (possible, suffering
the flu at the moment - so     not thinking real clear).

RF port side of circuit seems to have a     couple of non-symmetries that I
don't understand. But leaving that aside     for the moment can you please
explain how does the phase reversal take     place? I think I understand that
switching is to virtual ground reference     of 2.5v established by voltage
dividers either side. But how does phase     reversal take place? By all means
point me to the required reading in     EMRFD etc-al... :-)

Also photo appears to have extra resistor on LO     port direct to ground
before 0.1uF which us not in circuit -     Yes?

73, Steve.