[minima] Re: Preliminary feedback on Minima version 2.0 Farhans mail Nov 1st 2014

  • From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 07:41:53 -0500

Franz

Here's what my LTSpice analysis of the "Ver 2.0" BiDi amplifier looks like (measured at 20 mhz):

Gain:~= 20 db
Input match: ~= 7.5 db
Output match: ~= 30 db
Standing current: ~= 50 ma
Noise figure: ~=2.8 db

You can improve the input match by changing R11/R19 to 5.1 ohms and R10/R64 to 1000 ohms. This will result in a 50 ohm match of about 20 db with very littler gain change.

DC performance is another story. The amplifier idles at about 50ma, which is far more than necessary. The culprit here is the emitter follower output stage. Emitter followers are great when driving purely resistive loads, but they tend to fall down when trying to drive large voltage swings into capacitively coupled loads. This is because the follower can source current but it can't sink it. For this reason, designers put small resistor values from the emitter to ground to improve sinking. This also raises the bias current for a given bias voltage. The 220 ohm output resistor was undoubtedly selected for this reason. A better solution with almost the same number of parts would have been to use a complementary NPN/PNP output stage which would cut current consumption by at least 3x and improve the ability to swing AC voltages into the capacitively coupled load.Also, the collectors of Q1/Q4 are biased at 10.5V, which leaves very little headroom for strong signals given the 12V supply.

As to your 30 mhz xtal filter, I think that's a move in the right direction for this radio. The problem I had was that the crystal losses at that frequency were so high that a 'proper' bandwidth (~2.5 khz) would have far more loss I think would be acceptable. In any case, I find that ordering crystals from a reputable source (I use ECS crystals ordered from DigiKey), results in a much smaller spread of frequencies and generally better crystal Q and loss. For my 30 mhz filter, I just picked 8 crystals out of the bag, built the circuit and it worked pretty much as predicted. This is also my experience with all of the xtal filters I built in the last few months (about 10 of them). If you buy good crystals, the only thing you really have to match is the frequencies, and they'll be very close for SSB purposes if you buy from a known reputable source.

Joe
W3JDR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Franz DX" <dd4wh.swl@xxxxxxxxx>