[minima] Re: J-KISS Version 3

  • From: "Steve VK2SJA" <vk2sja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 00:00:21 +1100

The original circuit design I was sort of copying used two resistors
because they fed a bias voltage in at the centre of the two resistors. I
played around with this but couldn't get it to work as well as the
floating bias arrangement. So I left the two resistors in place and simply
connected the floating reference level to that point.

I think the resistors also serve to discharge the gate-source capacitance
allowing the FET to turn off more readily. At least that's what I've read.
But they definitely clean/square up the waveform as well. I note that the
Peak-to-Peak voltage across the secondary changes with the resistors
added. So the resistors may be doing a couple of things.

Most of my transformers are trifilar toroids. So removing a single turn
from the primary is a bit tricky. :-) The one pig-nose transformer I wound
recently was a bit if a disaster. I think the core was too large for the
number of turns I was winding. Maybe.

I did check VP and the LO voltage on the gate and I had room to spare.
I've also got lots of healthy harmonics above second order. So I'm fairly
certain that my mixer is switching. Mileage may vary with other FET's of
course.