[minima] Re: 25 mhz IF ahoy!

  • From: allison <ajp166@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 22:57:19 -0500

On 12/02/2014 10:36 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
> gang,
>
> i recently found out a bag of 25 mhz crystals in my junk. i found that
> these are fundamental mode crystals! if this is a regular thing, then
> we can probably shift to 25 mhz IF instead of 20 mhz. here is why:

of the common ones I know of 22.118, 24, 25, 32 and 36 are available in
fundamental mode.
I've built filters at 36mhz for one receiver.

> 1. We get back 21 MHz band. with the IF and it's associated traps at
> 25 MHz, we will lose out 24 MHz band though. Some would (I would)
> consider this to be a fair bargain.
>
> 2. For those who are not too bothered with 10 meter coverage (I am,
> actually) a 0-21 MHz Minima would be very easily put together with a
> simple J-FET KISS V3 or V2 mixer.

The other direction is 11mz if for a 80 though 40 and 20 though 10M.
That would loose 30M.
There is also 9mhz (TENTEC still uses that IF in the Eagle and ArgonautVI).

I do know people that use Elecraft K1s and they only go to 15M. so they
would like that case too.

> 3. We could even place a 28 MHz band pass filter in parallel to the
> LPF to bypass the LPF (cut-off at 22 MHz) for 10 meter band alone.

For the 25mhz case using narrow band pass filter 28mhz is works and low
pas with sharp
cutoff for 80 through 15M

Allison/Kb1GMX