[MikesWhatsNews] MWN #584

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mikeswhatsnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:45:29 -0800

MikesWhatsNews, 30, 10, 2002
in today's issue #584
THE PINK RIBBON
How to burn an ISO image
Windows Support Center
The Origins of Halloween
Desk Buddy Lite
Trick or Treat for UNICEF
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream -- Halloween Page
Space: How Out of It Are You?
CCC     The Gallery Of "Misused" Quotation Marks
        Selection Savvy

                      THE PINK RIBBON

A handsome,  middle-aged man walked quietly into the cafe
and sat down.  Before he ordered,  he couldn't help but notice a
group of younger men at the table next to him. It was obvious
they were making  fun of something  about  him,  and it wasn't until
he remembered he was  wearing a small  pink  ribbon on the lapel
of his suit that he became  aware of what  the joke was all
about.

The man brushed off the reaction as ignorance,  but  the smirks
began to get  to him.  He looked one of the rude men square in the
eye,  placed his hand beneath the ribbon and asked,  quizzically,
"This?".

With that the men all began to laugh out loud. The man he
addressed said,  as he fought back laughter,  "Hey, sorry man,  but
we were  commenting on  how  pretty your little ribbon looks against
your blue jacket!"

The middle aged man calmly motioned for the joker to come
over to his table,  and invited him  to sit down.  As
uncomfortable as he was, the guy  obliged,  not  really  sure  why.
In a soft voice,  the middle aged man said,  "I  wear this  ribbon to bring
awareness about breast cancer.  I wear it in my  mother's  honor."

"Oh,  sorry  dude.  She died of breast cancer?"

"No,  she didn't.   She's  alive and well. But  her breasts
nourished me as an infant,  and were a  soft  resting place for my
head when I was scared or lonely as a little boy.   I'm very
grateful for  my  mother's breasts,  and her health."

"Umm",  the  stranger  replied, "yeah".

"And I wear this ribbon to honor my wife",  the middle aged man
went on.  And  she's okay,  too?",  the other guy asked. "Oh,  yes.
She's fine.   Her  breasts  have been a great source of loving
pleasure...with  them she nurtured and nourished
our beautiful daughter  23 years  ago. I am  grateful for my wife's
breasts,  and for her  health."

"Uh huh.  And I  guess you wear it to honor your daughter,
also?"

"No.   It's too late  to honor my daughter by wearing it now. My
daughter died of  breast cancer  one month  ago.  She thought she
was too young to have breast  cancer,  so when  she  accidentally
noticed a small lump,  she ignored it.  She  thought that since it
wasn't painful,  it must not be anything to worry about."

Shaken and ashamed,  the now sober stranger said, "Oh,  man,
I'm so sorry,  mister".

"So,  in my daughter's  memory,  too,  I proudly wear this little
ribbon,  which allows me the opportunity to enlighten others. Now, go
home and talk to your wife and your daughters,  your mother and your
friends.  And here . . ."   The middle-aged man reached in his
pocket and  handed the other  man a little pink ribbon.

The guy looked at it,  slowly raised his head and asked,  "Can
ya help me put it on?"

This is breast cancer awareness month. Do regular  breast
self-exams and,  if you are a woman over the age  of 40,  have
annual mammograms . And  encourage those  women you love to
do the same.  Please send this on to anyone you would like to
remind of the importance of breast cancer awareness.

A CANDLE LOSES NOTHING BY LIGHTING ANOTHER CANDLE.

                    Shared by Joe Gatuslao
                    Bacolod City, Philippines

   From: ChristianArticle
If you want to subscribe to WORD MINISTRY and share
or receive the daily reflection, you may send your e-mail
address to jgat@xxxxxxxxxxx FREE SUBSCRIPTION.

How to burn an ISO image by Ross Laver
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/e-smith/docs/howto/CD_burning_howto.php3
Table of Contents
1. What is an ISO image?
2. Important notes
3. Using md5sum to verify the integrity of your ISO image
3.1. Checking the md5sum under Linux
3.2. Checking the md5sum under Windows/DOS
4. How to burn your CD
4.1. Instructions using Easy CD Creator (Adaptec/Roxio)
4.2. Instructions using Nero (Ahead Software)
4.3. Instructions using WinOnCD (CeQuadrat GmbH, now part of Roxio, Inc.)
4.4. Instructions using CDRWin (Golden Hawk Technology)
5. Creating a boot floppy
5.1. Instructions under Windows (method 1)
5.2. Instructions under Windows (method 2)
5.3. Instructions using Linux
6. Links

1. What is an ISO image?
An ISO is a file that contains the complete image of a disc, from sector 0
to the end. Such files are often used when transferring CDROM images over
the Internet, and are commonly used as a way of offering Linux distributions
for download. The latest version of the e-smith server and gateway, for
example, is available from e-smith.org as a 335MB download. Once you have it
on your hard drive, you can burn it onto CD using one of many CD-burning
software packages.

More precisely, an ISO image is an image of an ISO 9660 CD-ROM. ISO is short
for the International Organization for Standardization. (ISO is not an
acronym. Instead, the name derives from the Greek word iso, which means
equal.) The ISO 9660 format defines the file system used by almost all
CDROMs of Windows, Mac, Linux and so on.

Some CD-burning applications create plain ISO 9660 images, while others
interpret the ISO format as they like. Nero, from Ahead Software, uses the
NRG suffix to name its ISO images. ISO images created by Easy CD Creator
(from Roxio, Inc., which was spun off from Adaptec, Inc. in September, 2000)
contain some lead-in and lead-out bytes around the core of the 2048-byte
sector. This explains why ISO images created by Easy CD Creator cannot be
burnt by all burning packages (for example, CDRWin complains about the file
not beeing a multiple of the sector size). On the other hand, Easy CD
Creator can burn plain ISO images written by other packages.
++ There is more on the web site.

Windows Support Center
http://www.aumha.org/elist.htm
If you are going to bookmark one site this is the one.
It is one of the best Windows sites I have found.

The Origins of Halloween
http://www.malaspina.com/burning/halloween/rowan.htm
In recent years, there have been a number of pamphlets put out by various
Christian organizations dealing with the origins of modern day Halloween
customs. Being a Witch myself, and a student of the ancient Celts, from whom
we get this holiday, I have found these pamphlets woefully inaccurate and
poorly researched. In an effort to correct some of this erroneous
information, I have spent several months researching the religious life of
the ancient Celtic peoples and the survivals of that religious life in
modern day times. Listed below are some of the most commonly asked questions
concerning the origins and customs of Halloween. Following the questions is
a lengthy bibliography where the curious reader can go to learn more about
this holiday than space in this small pamphlet permits.
++

Desk Buddy Lite  ~ freeware
http://www.jalco.co.uk/deskbud.htm

This wonderful collection of tools eliminates the need for all
those small utilities cluttering your desktop. It has a diary,
notepad, alarm clock and more.

The planner in the Diary and Tasks utility allows you to set
appointments with specified start and stop times. Customize the
font of notes and even print all from the same screen. Its alarm
can be repeated daily.

Desk Buddy Lite combines your most used tools into one
easy-to-use application.
Thanks to; Christy

Trick or Treat for UNICEF!
http://www.supportunicef.org/
UNICEF is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for
the protection of children's rights, to help meet their basic needs and to
expand their opportunities to reach their full potential.
++

 Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream -- Halloween Page
http://www.benjerry.com/halloween/

Most folks familiar with Ben & Jerry's know full well that Halloween is our
absolutely most way-favorite time of year. For those of you who never knew &
those of you who're new to us, we've left a few ghouls clues for you to
follow... if you dare. We leave you fair warning, too: once you've gone
through the Flavor Graveyard's gates, you risk totally losing yourself at
every turn, so if you can't stand the eek!s, stay out of the Haunted House,
& if you're too spooked to commune with the souls of old flavors, don't go
moaning in the Mausoleum that we didn't warn you...

We've put together a whole bunch of tricks, treats, tips, links, etc. to
help you have a happy and safe Halloween.
++
Thanks to; Janet
http://home.clara.net/wightway/

Space: How Out of It Are You?
http://encarta.msn.com/quiz/quiz.asp?QuizID=42
As Douglas Adams, author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
said, ''Space ? is big. Really big.''
That's certainly true, and it means there's a lot to know about space.
How much do you know?
From: Microsoft

Christies Computer Corner thanks to Christy;
<1stPicksoftware-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

The Gallery Of "Misused" Quotation Marks

http://www.juvalamu.com/qmarks/

The Gallery of Misused Quotation Marks chronicles the misuse and
abuse of this cherished punctuation mark.

You've "seen" them.

 Maybe on a sign at the  "grocery" store, maybe in  an ad in your
"local" newspaper. Perhaps even
 in a "memo" that circulated throughout your company.

 They're quotation marks, and they turn up in the strangest of
places.
~~~~~~~

Selection Savvy
Ever need to make more than one choice in a list box?  (A list
box is basically an item by item list.  You've probably seen them
on web pages or in computer programs you've used.)

Here's how:

1.  Click the first item on the list you would like to have
selected.

2.  Next, while holding down the SHIFT key, click the last item
you would like selected.

That's it, the first and last selected items are now highlighted,
as well as everything in between.

OK, so what if you just need specific items selected, not whole
sections?

That's easy too.  Hold down the CTRL key while making your
selections. As long as the CTRL key is down, you can click select
individual items on in a list box.

Note that not all list boxes support multiple selections.  You
can experiment with this technique using the list of e-mails in
your inbox with a program like Outlook Express.

Was this forwarded to you ?
Get your own subscription here:
<1stpickPCtips-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe>

Antivirus software is a good choice to scan your system for possible viruses,
however no virus scanner is 100% effective as manufactures cannot keep up with
the rapid change of viruses that happens daily.
Be sure to update yours regularly.
http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html
Please feel free, to offer constructive criticism, as that will help me keep it
interesting.
I also welcome any submissions about new products, web pages, or articles of
interest.

All submissions posted in MWN will be given proper credit.
"MikesWhatsNews" believes in giving credit where credit is due but at times
deadlines and information that is very important to readers we accidentally
misspost an item.

If you believe something to be miscredited, or you know the author of one of
the articles which we have posted as 'unknown', please do let us know so we can
correct the information where applicable.

Many times in a article you may see a click here for more information, or to go
to a link, these often will not work, as the original information, was taken
from a page with HTML links. This is when you will want to go to the webpage
indicated in the article, ++ ,for 'the rest of the story'
***MfM*** indicates that I am adding my own information to a particular
article.
                         `~*~*~*~*~*~`
Mike ~It's a good day if I learned something new.
You can read a sample of my newsletter on my web page http://www.mwn.ca
My virus pages ~ http://virusinfo.hackfix.org
mytech@xxxxxxxxxxx
~*~*~*~*~
Was this forwarded to you? Want to subscribe? Send an email
to mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=subscribe.

to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of "info mikeswhatsnews" without
the quotes.

If you wish to unsubscribe from our list send an email to
mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe

mikeswhatsnews-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              ~*~*~*~*~