[meetyeti] Fwd: Seeking research collaborators for a study on bats

  • From: YETI <meet.yeti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meetyeti <meetyeti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:24:51 +0530

Please respond directly to ullaspt@xxxxxxxxx

For YETI,
Vishnupriya

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ullas Thankappan <ullaspt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Seeking research collaborators for a study on bats
To: meet.yeti@xxxxxxxxx

Dear researchers,

I have recently come across the website of YETI and got familiar with
its functional domains.  I am writing in to seek interest from YETI
members in a research project I plan to undertake.

I am a researcher in the field of Virology, and in particular, in
Rabies.  As you would be aware, Rabies is a major killer of humans and
animals worldwide.  India contributes about 36% of global Rabies
mortality, and most human cases in the country develop after bites
from rabid canines.  In the U.S., Europe and Australia, wildlife and
bats represent the major vectors of disease transmission.  The general
consensus in our country has been that bat Rabies does not exist here,
as the hematophagous bats are not found here.  However, there have
been several reports from India's neighbours in the South-East Asian
regions of consistent findings of Rabies virus activity in their
indigenous frugivorous and insectivorous bat populations. Bangladesh,
Philippines, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam have reported the
detection of Rabies virus in their bats, in the past few years.  Very
recently, China reported the detection of a variant Rabies virus in a
fruit-eating bat, and suggested a possible widespread circulation of
the virus in bats.  Even in India, there have been two reports of
possible bat-transmitted Rabies infection in humans (Pal et al., 1980;
Veeraraghavan, 1954). But no systematic study has been done on bats in
our country, regarding their possible exposure to Rabies virus in
nature.

I am interested to undertake a study that evaluates the potential
exposure of Indian bats to Rabies virus or its
variants, in nature.  I have been seeking collaborations from bat
researchers who would like to participate in this project, and help me
with non-destructive sampling (of saliva and blood) specimens from
indigenous bats.  I anticipate that the study would yield important
insights, and good publications too. I would not require funding from
the collaborators; would just need help in collecting samples from
bats in the wild. Authorship, of course, could be shared in the
publications that result.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, and would welcome
researchers who could contribute to this project.

Please leave a message if you're interested.

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Ullas PT, PhD
Assistant Professor (Research)