[meetyeti] Fwd: Research Technician Post for work in Kedarnath (Feb-May 2014)

  • From: YETI <meet.yeti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meetyeti <meetyeti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:43:59 +0530

Please respond directly to sahasbarve@xxxxxxxxx

For YETI,
Vishnupriya

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sahas Barve <sahasbarve@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Subject: Research Technician Post for work in Kedarnath (Feb-May 2014)
To: YETI <meet.yeti@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi

I am Sahas Barve, a PhD candidate in the Department of Ecology and
Evolutionary Biology at Cornell University and a Research Affiliate
with the Wildlife Institute of India . My research aims to understand
the determinants of elevational distribution of bird species in the
Kedatnath region of the western Himalayas. Specifically I plan to look
at interspecific competition in 4 species of tits and hematological
adaptations to hypoxia in 14 species of Himalayan birds along an
elevational gradient from 1000m-4000m.

The Post: I am planning to hire 1 technician to help me with the fieldwork.
Duration: Feb-May 2014
Location: Mandal-Chopta-Ansuya area of Kedarnath Wildlife Division,
Uttarakhand India.

Qualifications: Above everything else, I am looking to hire a GOOD
birder. For the purpose of my research a good birder is a person who
can ID bird species based on their calls and songs and other
vocalizations in addition to visual ID. I dont expect to find someone
who is well versed with west Himalayan species, but I am looking for
someone who CAN assimilate calls relatively soon. I am very serious
about hiring ONLY someone with a high skill level for aural ID of
birds as it is critical for the job. (There are NO educational
requirements).

Job description: The technician will be expected to go to field
independently (with a local assistant) and make exhaustive recordings
of bird calls and songs. He/she will be expected to carry out
song-playback experiments, which involve detailed behavioral
observation of bird responses to conspecific and heterospecific song.
He/she will have to alternatively make detailed observations of
foraging niches of target species recording variables like foraging
method, horizontal and vertical location in tree etc. He/she will also
assist me in checking nest-boxes, mist netting at various elevations.
The mist-netting involves a lot of people so I am interested in
someone who does well working independently as well as in a team.

Salary: I am happy to pay a JRF salary in addition to the food,
lodging and transportation (ex Dehradun) that I'll cover.

Please send me an email at sahasbarve@xxxxxxxxx if you are interested.
If possible include a CV and tell me why you would like to work with
me,

Thanks and I look forward t hearing from you.

Best Regards
Sahas Barve
Phone: +1 650 669 0350
http://sahasbarve.com