[meetyeti] CTFSnet: Course Announcement - Field research methods, design and analysis in Xishuangbanna

  • From: YETI <meet.yeti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meetyeti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:00:02 +0530

 -------- Original Message --------  Subject: CTFSnet: Course Announcement -
Field research methods, design and analysis in Xishuangbanna Date: Mon, 12
Jul 2010 11:40:32 -0400 From: Lao, Suzanne <LAOZ@xxxxxx> <LAOZ@xxxxxx>
<CTFSNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx><CTFSNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
CTFSNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Venue:
Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanic Garden and Mengsong Nature Reserve in
Xishuangbanna Dai Autonomous Prefecture

Dates:
20 Nov - 18 Dec 2010

Organiser:
Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanic Garden

Sponsors:
Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, Ecological Evolution Lab, Key
Lab of Tropical Ecology and Conservation.

Registration:http://www.pfs-tropasia.org/

Course Fee:
$1500 (Developed countries), $500 (China).

Fellowships:
Participants from developing countries (excluding China) will receive
fellowships to cover the course fees. Applicants are expected to
obtain their own international airfare from their home country to
Kunming, China.

Program:
This program is an intensive course in field research methods,
research design, sampling and analysis designed for graduate students
in Ecology and Conservation. Students will participate in established
long-term field monitoring experiments and gain experience in
independent project design. With guidance, students will develop and
present research proposals and conduct field-based data collection.
The course concludes with a symposium, where students present results
of course activities amongst their peers and instructors.
The course convenes in Kunming, capital city of Yunnan Province. From
there we will go by bus to Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden
(XTBG) where we will stay during the first week of the course.
Orientation, introduction to the course and a series of lectures will
be given during this first week, including a one-day course in
statistics and use of the statistical program R.
Both the long-term and independent research projects will take place
in Mengsong, a Forest Reserve near the Burma border, which contains
magnificent old-growth forest surrounded by different secondary forest
types and famous Pu-er tea plantations. We will stay there for two
weeks, during which students are expected to set up and carry out
their own research projects under supervision of experienced field
ecologists. We will be back at XTBG for the last week of the course,
where students can analyse their data and prepare for the presentation
of their results during a one-day symposium that closes the course.

Topics covered:
Tropical Ecology, Eco-Physiology, Taxonomy, Evolutionary Ecology,Plant
and Animal Interactions, Biodiversity, Conservation Biology, Invasive
Species, Molecular Ecology, Soil Ecology, Plant physiology and more.
Further discussions will look at how these topics are affected in
human-dominated landscapes.

believed to be clean.

dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
believed to be clean.