[meego-fi] Re: [meego-network-fi] About restructuring of two teams

  • From: Jarkko Kniivilä <jkniiv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:27:21 +0200

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 09:37, Jarkko Moilanen
<jarkko.moilanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This restructuring of Marketing, communication and tech teams is proposed in
> next meeting agenda:
> http://wiki.meego.com/Local_MeeGo_Networks/MeeGo_Network_Finland/Meeting_Agenda_2011_02_20
> <snip>
> Restructuring of Marketing, communication and tech teams (jnwi presenting)
>
> A more natural division of tasks is proposed. The preliminary plan is:
>
> Marketing team: Marketing material such as posters and leaflets, media
> policy, website content policy, social media, IRC channel(s) (ops), mailing
> lists (freelists.org, meegonetwork.fi).
>
> Tech team: MNFI portal development, summit venue IT
> infrastructure/connections, live streaming of presentations during the
> summit, video interviews (speakers etc.), app for summit program, summit
> registration tech.
> </snip>
>

> Why would IRC channel OPs be in Marketing? To me more natural location would
> be Tech Team, since managing OPs is more technical than marketing related.
> Also mailing list management is commonly part of IT system administrators
> jobs, not marketing department.
> /Jarkko

I would hav to agree that putting the IRC channels and mailing lists
under the control of the marketing team sounds a bit too much. After
all marketing is about putting a spin on things and we don't want to
curtail free speech, do we? I would in fact argue that the tech team
would hav less of an agenda to mess with our members' opinions. Also
this would be more in line of the "DSP" policy (Discuss->Share->Ping)
with marketing as the last tier (the "Ping") and interpreter of
community direction. To complete the analogy one could even say that,
if marketing is in control of the first two tiers too, we could end up
making a premature optimization. :)

Anyways, that's just my €0.02.

  //Jarkko Kn.

--
Jarkko Kniivilä  < jibun | jkniiv >
FIN-13100 HÄMEENLINNA

"Panta rhei kai oumen menei" -- Herakleitos