[meego-fi] Re: Portal development

  • From: Jarkko Kniivilä <jkniiv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:33:45 +0200

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 15:54, Jarkko Moilanen
<jarkko.moilanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
> As some of you know I have started to build our portal. Why just me? Well,
> it seemed that only I had the time for it. Actually I didn't have the time,
> but I made some time for it or that's what I thought. Now it seems that it
> takes nearly all my time (plus Summit page stuff). I have to do other things
> too and therefore I have decided to stop portal development now. I will not
> do that alone and I don't think that is what the community wants either. I'm
> not even leading this project. At least I shouldn't be, but now I feel like
> I am.

Right. We can't put this project on just one (or two) person's
shoulders. That wouldn't be fair.

> As far as i know, there are people who want to participate into portal
> development but at least one problem is platform. Hardly any of us know much
> about Drupal 7. During these last 7-8 days I have tried to get people
> involved (even though that is portal project lead's task), but I haven't
> seen any activity. Yes, I know 7-8 days is not long time, but the fact is
> that no one has said to contribute in it even in the future. Perhaps the
> question is then: Do we want to stick with meetup.com? Do we need (or want)
> the portal anymore? If the answer for the latter is yes, I'd suggest
> something that has been suggested before.

I don't see any problem with sticking to Meetup,com. On the other hand
our org needs a website anyhow and a properly managed portal is a
plus, but IMO the objectiv of replacing Meetup shouldn't be the main
reason for building one.

As for Drupal 7, I havn't dealt with PHP for years and frankly hav a
slight distaste for the language. But considering that Drupal is our
current choice and I know hardly anything about current content
management platforms anyway, I'm least entitled to object to it, so I
might just as well accept it. :)

> Let's gather in Demola some night and I'll share what (little) I know about
> Drupal 7. Some of you might be experienced is php, graphical design, etc.
> Those who want to be in portal project should be there. I don't want to
> sound like a bit*h but current situation can not continue. Something has to
> change. We have to make decisions, whether we want portal or not and who
> will contribute in it.  Meeting in real life could get this thing going on
> and get project lead into correct hands. Sorry for stepping on lead's toes,
> but I felt that things need to get started now.

I agree that meeting in person would work out the kinks – and
especially if somebody would giv us the introduction to the platform
of choice. For me with a limited travel budget that would mean
forgoing my attendance to the next monthly meetup, but I would be
willing to do that if peopl are willing to giv this project a shot.

> If the answer is no (we don't need portal), then we just abandon the project
> and move on. That's an option too.

Maybe, but let's not make hasty decisions just becaus the speed of
building the site doesn't seem fast enuff. Replacing the functionality
of Meetup.com might not be entirely trivial.

--
Jarkko Kniivilä  < jibun | jkniiv >
FIN-13100 HÄMEENLINNA

"Panta rhei kai oumen menei" -- Herakleitos