[MEBC-Butterfly] incidentals

  • From: Don Holt <dnldhlt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 22:41:30 -0400 (EDT)

Last Friday evening, 20 MAY 2011, on our Nightjar Survey Route on Buffalo /
Cherokee Mts. in Washington Co., TN, we only heard one Whipoorwill (the moon
wasn't up yet), but we saw lots of Blue Ghost Fireflies, on both Dry Creek Rd.
and Cherry Grove Rd.  We also saw probable Carolina Fireflies (they usually
blink four times) at Charlie Hicks Rd.

Saturday afternoon, 21 MAY 2011, while on a butterfly walk at Steele Creek Park
in Bristol, Sullivan Co., TN, we also saw a Northern Water Snake, an Eastern
Fence Swift, and a Broad-headed Skink.

Sunday, 22 MAY 2011, I went to find a Kentucky Warbler for my year list at a
reliable spot at Bumpus Cove Cemetary.  Besides the KY Warbler, I also heard
the droning "pharoah" calls of Magicicada tredecim, a 13 year cicada.  I also
heard them later in the day at Briar Creek Rd.  Both sites are in Washington
Co., TN.

Monday, 23 MAY 2011, on a nature walk with the first graders at Central
Elementary School in Carter Co., TN, we found a red ant mimic spider, similar
to the one at  http://bugguide.net/node/view/437104  .  It is the first I have
ever seen.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN