[MEBC-Butterfly] Upcomming Club Activities

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:02:25 -0500

The Mountain Empire Butterfly Club is about to kick off its second year of fun
and excitement. Last year was great and this year is shaping up to be just as
good. Mark your calendars for these upcomming events.

March 13th: Fireside Chat with Don Holt. We will discuss butterflies,
dragonflies, damseflies and just about anything that flies at this
   informal and fun setting at the Steele Creek Park Lodge at 7 pm.
Refreshments will be provided by the park.

April 4th: Don Holt will lead a field trip to Weavers Bend in Cocke County.
Details to come.

April 18th: As part of the Spring Nature Festival at Warrior's Path State Park,
Don Holt and I will do a seminar on Plants and Pollinators
   at 11:30 am. We will lead a walk at 12:30 pm. Various activities will be
taking place through the weekend.

May 2nd: As part of the Roan Mountain Spring Naturalist Rally, Don Holt will
lead a walk on Butterflies and other Flying Insects,
   and John Hay and I will lead an Insect Walk, both at 2 pm.

May 3rd: Continue Roan Rally, Don Holt will lead a Butterflies and Bugs Walks
at 2 pm.

May 17th: I will lead a Nature Exploration Walk at Whitetop Creek Park in
Bristol, TN at 2 pm. We will count insects.

May 29th and 30th: The Friends of Steele Creek Park will host their Annual
Meeting with special guest Chris Korrow at the
   Steele Creek Park Lodge. Chris is an author and film maker. He did a
wonderful PBS documentary on "Garden Insects". Check out
   his web site "Breat Deep Productions". He will do programs and lead walks
Friday evening and Saturday. You wont want to miss
   this event!

June 7th: Don Holt and I will lead a field trip to Shady Valley.

July 18th: Roan Mountain Butterfly Count. Compiler Don Holt.

August 2nd: Elizabethton Butterfly Count. Compiler Don Holt.

August 9th: Greenville Butterfly Count. Compiler Don Miller.

September 12th: As part of the Roan Mountain Fall Naturalist Rally (9/11 -
9/13), I will do the Saturday evening program on
   "Porch Light Insects". Fields trips to be scheduled.

October 16th and 17th: Wildlife Weekend at Steele Creek Park. Programs and
walks to be sheduled.

More activities will likely be scheduled.

If you would like to announce an Insect Activity feel free to do so.

check out the Nature Calendar for N.E. TN and S.W. VA at
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=eHlvbjQyQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ

Larry McDaniel

Windows Live™: Life without walls.