[mea] Copyright question

  • From: Kirby Gilman <kirby.gilman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mea <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:21:41 -0700 (MST)

Hi all, a copyright question:

At my workplace, someone adapted a Cree syllabic chart from a Cree hymn book to
include in a book of Cree sayings being published. The author of the Cree
syllabic chart/hymn book died in 1923, but the hymn book was reproduced and
copyrighted in both 1949 and 1983 by separate publishers. I can't find any
record of the initial publication.

Can we adapt this syllabic chart and publish without permission citing one of
the newer publications? Or, could we just put the name of the author who
created the syllabic chart due to the 50 year copyright expiration rule?

Thanks for any help,
Kirby

To reply to the whole list, click Reply.
To reply to one person, click Forward.