[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1657

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:23:13 -0800

There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Time Adjust
           From: "botfb" <botfb@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Music downloads from Rhapsody.com
           From: "Fred Amundsen" <amundsenf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Any Mac Users Here?
           From: "Sean" <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Music downloads from Rhapsody.com
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:48:03 -0000
   From: "botfb" <botfb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Time Adjust

I'm using Windows XP Pro version 2002, service pack 2.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

Which Windows are you using? XP?

botfb <botfb@xxxx> wrote: When i double-click the clock in my systray
there's NO window that opens. I share my desktop PC with my wife & 2 kids;
4 users in all in a single desktop. Could you, please, guide me on how to
log in as "administrator", if needed, since i haven't done this before.
Thank you for your time & effort.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote: Do you have the rights to access and change the
Time and Date Properties? You must log in as administrator.

Is this what you did?: Double click the time in your system tray. When the
Window opens, click on either the hours, minutes or seconds and they will
turn blue. Now click the up or down arrows just to the right of the time to
increase or decrease the time.

Message: 2
   Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:30:19 -0000
   From: "Fred Amundsen" <amundsenf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Music downloads from Rhapsody.com

I recently purchased a mp3 player, and with it, I received a one month free
trial of Rhapsody To Go program.. I'm wondering if it is safe to install
their Rhapsody program on my pc and start listening to their music. Will my
computer be infected by spyware?

Fred

Message: 3
   Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:49:46 -0000
   From: "Sean" <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Any Mac Users Here?

First, let me offer my condolences for the parent's son. How
insensitive of me to forget to relay that.  I know it doesn't mean
too much over the internet, but they're there.

I think the thing that will be most helpful would be for you to post
the mail settings here, with the exception of the actual email
address. Leave the email address off, and we'll take a look.

As far as why Entourage worked for a while and then didn't is hard
to say, there are plenty of reasons that could happen. Between the
two applications, Mail and Entourage, we should be able to get your
friend goin'.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Siggy Addict"
<siggyadd@xxxx> wrote:
I don't know.  I will find out and write down the error message. It
probably won't be for a few days though.  They are going away for a
couple of days because tomorrow would have been their son's birthday
and they don't want to be home.
Thank you  and I will get back to you with the info.
Nancy

From: Seantific

I think there is at least one Mac user here. But there's no harm in
posting your problem here. Just mention what Mac OS version and
which Mac computer you are using, Nancy.

Siggy Addict <siggyadd@xxxx> wrote:
Are there any Mac users in this group?  If so, I have a question.

Nancy

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:56:59 -0800 (PST)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Music downloads from Rhapsody.com

Here are a few reviews:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Rhapsody_3_0/4505-3513_7-20050753.html

Note: Rhapsody is the only DRM'd media distribution system that is
compatible with Linux, via http://www.rhapsody.com

  HP dumps iTunes, chooses Real's Rhapsody
  http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1441
  By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 02:00 PM EST

  After several years of distributing Apple Computer's iTunes software with
its new PCs, Hewlett-Packard is shifting its allegiances to rival
RealNetworks' Rhapsody music service, reports CNet News.com.
  The move -- which will likely be announced on Thursday -- has been
expected ever since HP decided last summer to stop distributing HP-branded
iPod music players.
  "Rhapsody will now be the default music-playing software on HP's new PCs
and laptops, and beginning in spring 2006, HP customers will get a free
30-day trial subscription to RealNetworks' music subscription service,"
CNet said. <END OF ARTICLE>

  BTW, what is the best audio quality you can buy via Rhapsody compared to
that 128K on iTunes? I just like to make a brief comment about all this
DRM-ing. Two things that come to mind:
  - XM-radio capture.
- Tivo-type recorders.
  Allow me to add JetAudio.
  The cat is out of the bag, it's not going back in. Copying will only get
easier, not harder. There is no way for DRM to succeed. It can even give
their makers problems. Just ask Sony :)
Every device that "plays" DRM'ed media OUTPUTS IT IN SOME SORT OF ANALOG
FASHION. So someone with a little ingenuity just captures the output of the
sound card, or the video card or whatever final display, and copies it.
Buh-bye DRM.

  According to this article from Rhapsody, it has no spyware:

You mean like this?
http://www.rhapsody.com/
Turn Your PC into a Jukebox
Simple, fast, and reliable, RHAPSODY gives you unlimited access to the
deepest catalog of legal online music in the world. Listen to over 600,000
songs on demand. Create custom playlists and radio stations.
Burn mixed CDs. Award-winning RHAPSODY is the one service that does it all.

  Get Unlimited, On-Demand Access to a Megastore of Music
More than 20,000 albums at your fingertips
The biggest artists in every imaginable musical style
Listen to complete albums, create custom playlists
CD quality sound - instantly
No viruses or spyware
Play as much music as you like, no meters or limits
  Burn your own CDs
Burn as much music as you want, whenever you want
Create complete albums or custom mixes
Play your music back in any CD player, anywhere
No confusing restrictions, just pay as you go
  Access your music from any PC
Log-in from anywhere and listen to your personal collection
Home, work, school...
No need to sync files between PCs
  Get the Ultimate Online Radio
Listen in CD Quality sound
Browse more than 50 pre-programmed stations created by our music experts
Create your own stations based on your favorite artists
Skip the songs you don't like
Never hear a single ad

Fred Amundsen <amundsenf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I recently purchased a mp3 player, and with it, I received a one month
free trial of Rhapsody To Go program.. I'm wondering if it is safe to
install their Rhapsody program on my pc and start listening to their music.
Will my computer be infected by spyware?

Fred

For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
  MCH FORUMS (free registration)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary
security deserve neither liberty nor security.

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch