[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1601

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:30:00 -0800

There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Spybot: bad checksum
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. RE: Re: Msconfig stopped working
           From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
      3. iKernel.exe could not be launched - No such interface supported
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. del.ico.us - now part of the Yahoo collective
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 05:10:25 -0800 (PST)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Spybot: bad checksum

  Is your system free of any viral or spyware or a combo of infections?
Have you scanned your system lately and updated your security tools? Or
perhaps...have you cleaned up your drive lately, refreshed your Prefetch
folder, emptied the Temp and TIF folders, and replaced your page file? Have
you checked out how many startup programs that are not essential for
Windows to boot that start at boot up? One reason why you might be getting
the checksum error message could be due to depleted bandwidth used up by
nasties lurking and operating behind the scenes and processes (legit or
otherwise) that keep your CPU and memory busy and loaded. Just something to
think about. Even if these factors are not related to your problem, they
are good maintenance tasks that you need to do with regularity.

  The other solutions have already been suggested by others such as
choosing a different server from the one that produces the error message to
download from or downloading the updated files and then installing them
manually. This issue had been addressed at the official Spybot site:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/20.html
If you live in the US, try to download from a server that is located in the
US. Also try to download at times when people are normally in bed at the
time of download.

Other possible causes and solutions to this bad checksum Spybot problem are
addressed here:
  http://www.voiceofthepublic.com/SSD/udssdcp.html

Bad checksum (checking the sums) means simply that the data sent doesn't
match the data received so the update fails.

Francis T wrote:
    Nah-uh.  I choose only the one critical component to be updated, but I
still get the "bad checksum" error.

Seantific wrote:

There is another solution to this problem. When you update Spybot and it
lists several components that are to be updated, check only one or two at a
time (put checks on those checkboxes a few at a time - don't tick them all
off). This solution has served me well and it is one that always works for
me when I get the same "bad checksum" error.

  trscott <trscott5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
when I downloaded the update for Spybot I get this message:
*bad checksum*.
Does that mean the download wasn't successful?

MCH FORUMS (registration required -- FREE to join)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Educate Yourself
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H3DF224EB

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:17:37 -0800
   From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Re: Msconfig stopped working

No, it's not, and thanks for asking. I guess I wasn't too clear in my
previous eMail reply.

To try to rule out any of the updates to WinXP Pro, I removed them all (in
small batches), rebooted and retried running msconfig.exe several times,
without any change. I followed up by doing a "complete" update, by which 24
were installed, but my pblm persists - It still gives that Access Denied
error.

As said earlier, I seem to recall that in the past it was cured by changing
one or another of the Registry values.

Jerry

   Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:37:38 -0800 (PST)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: iKernel.exe could not be launched - No such interface supported

  Have you just installed SP2? Someone in another group had your problem
and all he did was reinstall SP2. It got fixed. I'm assuming you are using
WinXP....are you? Normally  a system with no problem before the upgrade to
SP2 have no problem. SP2 act as a "revelator" of existing problems...

If you have System Restore, use a Restore Point created before the problem
started.

  I usually start with the basics on these types of problems. Common
installation/uninstallation problems are usually cured by restarting the
machine, then....

    1) Delete the contents of the C:\windows\temp folder, there may be a
file in there interfering with the setup routine of the installer.
  2) Turn off all other running programs, especially your antivirus
software. Use ctrl+alt+delete, if necessary, to "end task" on everything
except Explorer.

  This behavior can occur if one or more of the following files are missing
from the
%systemroot%\system32 folder:
  STDOLE32.TLB
STDOLE2.TLB
STDOLE.TLB
  Expand the appropriate file(s) from the <cd-rom (installation CD)>:\i386
folder to the
%systemroot%\system32 folder.

  Also, check to see if the "DcomLaunch" Service is not disabled
(Start>Run>type services.msc>hit Enter). OR....you could type the following
in Command Prompt:
  IMPORTANT: Only execute this command if you are darn sure you installed
SP2.

  sc config DcomLaunch start= auto

(respect spaces)
and....

sc start DcomLaunch

  Hit Enter after each command line.

  If you know how, you should also review your active group policies using
gpedit (if you are using XP Pro). Also check your firewall settings
(software and hardware - hardware, meaning your router NAT if you are using
one to implement a network) is not blocking Internet access to the update
mechanism which is iKernel.exe. Check the current firewall configuration
and you may find the file listed with access set to "Deny".

  What errors (if any) appear in Event Viewer?
Make an exact note of the precise text of any error message. Minor
discrepancies can make it harder to search for information about the error
message.
  You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer.
When researching the meaning of the error, information regarding Event ID,
Source
and Description are important.
http://tinyurl.com/7u5r4
  A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two
pages. Double click the button and close Event Viewer. Now start your
message
(email) and do a paste into the body of the message. This will paste the
info from the
Event Viewer Error Report complete with links into the message. Make sure
this is
the first paste after exiting from Event Viewer.

Check also to see if any of these articles can help you:

  No Such Interface Supported
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=q108521
  Error in Ikernel.exe When You Install Programs By Using InstallShield
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;810608
  IKernel.exe Could Not Be Installed (0x20)
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108247
  PRB: Norton Antivirus Identifies ikernel.exe as being infected by the
W32.Nimda.enc(dr) Virus
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q105740
  PRB: Ikernel Errors: Class Not Registered, No Such Interface Supported

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=CLASS630PEE&articleid=Q105146
  Run a Free Online Virus Scan
And also run Stinger:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
Are you using Norton antivirus? Make sure it is updated for SP2.

A last resort:

  A last resort is to reinstall WinXP or repair it. There are 2 procedures
to fix the
problem without formatting.

    a) SFC or System File Checker:
Check all protected files in XP and fixed problems by comparing with a
clean copy from Win XP CD and c:\Windows\System32\dllcache.   This
procedure *void* the previous restore points *without warning*.
You must stop System Restore to delete all restore points (Start>Control
Panel>Performance and Maintenance (in Category View, not Classic
View)>System Restore (left panel)>Syster Restore Settings>System Restore
tab>check "Turn off System Restore on all drives"), fix the problems with
SFC and restart System Restore to create a new RP (restore point).
Use this *only* if no restore points solve the problem...
  Even though you have SP2, I'm almost sure that you have a "non-SP2" WinXP
installation CD...
(A "sliptreamed" CD = a Win XP plus SP2...)
If you run SFC the command may ask you to insert the SP2 CD in order to
find systems files and you have also to give the path for those files ...
(Oh the "headache"...)
  b) Easier way:
Repair WinXP from the XP CD then reapply the SP2 upgrade. The best way to
do this is to use a SP2 CD instead of dowloading the upgrade.
  If you have an original WinXP CD (not an OEM such as HP-Compaq with 5
CDs...)
you can repair WinXP that way :
  If it's HP multiple CDs or some other CDs given to you by the computer
manufacturer, you may have to contact them to find out how to perform a
NON-DESTRUCTIVE RESTORE.

Here some informations about the "slipstreaming" procedure:
  Slipstreamed Windows XP CD Using SP2
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    Many fixes do not work and recommendation is that you do a "Repair
Install"
from the XP CD. If possible make a backup of your system before doing this
repair:   http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
  Set you bios to boot from the CD ROM drive, insert the CD and reboot.
At the Setup Screen "Welcome to Setup", press the Enter Key.
The next screen is the "Windows XP Licensing Agreement", press F8 to
proceed
The next screen is "Windows XP *Professional Setup" [if you have XP *Pro]
Press R.
Windows will reboot and you will then see the screen.
"Press any key to boot the CD. Do not press any key, just wait and the
Windows Start up Screen will be displayed. From now on follow any prompts
that appear.

      From: Pamela L.

  I just started having a problem this morning. I was in the Add/Remove
Programs and was deleting a few of older/unused programs and got a few of
them deleted, then got this error popup that said:

  "The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched.  No such
interface supported."

MCH FORUMS (registration required -- FREE to join)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Educate Yourself
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H3DF224EB

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:14:55 -0800 (PST)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: del.ico.us - now part of the Yahoo collective

Holy guacamole!! Del.ico.us was just acquired by Yahoo. Another great site
eaten up by bigger companies. Another sad news for me. I would have
preferred del.ico.us to remain independent from big corporations.
  Read more about it here:
  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/09/1954200&from=rss

MCH FORUMS (registration required -- FREE to join)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Educate Yourself
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H3DF224EB

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping

[This message contained attachments]

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==

MCH Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Other MCH Links
http://snipurl.com/fmno