[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1554

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:49:32 -0700

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Dummies guide to Networking?
           From: Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Re: registryfirstaid/search
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Re: Unplugging USB device
           From: Shyamal Gupta <shyamalg@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:07:00 +1300
   From: Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Dummies guide to Networking?

On 10/21/05, Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there, Is there a dummies guide to networking ?
>
> Basically, we have 2 computers - Both Win XP.

Dont worry...

ive read through the help files & I *think* my flatmate hasn't done
the 'install network CD' part - Hes probably used the internal Windows
installer..

I'll ask when he comes home again...

--
G Stewart

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:48:43 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: registryfirstaid/search

I reran RFA using the settings suggested, and, it gave me only "green"
level problem which I deleted. But when I tried to open search, I again
got the following message: " A file required to run search companion
cannot be found. You may need to run set up." I "googled" search
companion a found the following MSKB
article "Error Message; A file that is required..." and, appears to be
numbered Q319949.
I tried following the second, and, third, recommendations suggested
there. The second one, I couldn't use because I apparently have all
service packs installed.
The third, said to go the .inf folder, locate a file named srchasst.inf,
and, reinstall it. When I attempted to do so, it called for my SP2 disc,
but I can't find the file the reinstall procedure wants on the SP2 disc.
Can anyone help?

orang wrote:

> Hi, Bill:
>
> When using the RFA scanner, launch the scan (after backing up all reg
> entries.)  The second the scan starts, hit the stop button at the
> bottom of the GUI.  Then go to top of GUI and checkmark "view by
> safety level," then restart the scan.
>
> When the scan finishes, delete *only* the most safe level (green
> checkmark icon.)
>
> You can also delete from the yellow iconed Caution, but for now,
> please post to here exactly which files are listed there and I'll
> review them prior to your fix/delete.
>
> Please do *not* delete the red-iconed files without consulting me
> first.
>
> As a general rule for the future, in addition to following the above
> "safe practices," never delete *any* explorer.exe related file without
> contacting us first.

> Technical support

>       Computer security

>       Computer technical support

> Computer training

>       Free computer technical support

>       Computer problems

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:10:44 +0530
   From: Shyamal Gupta <shyamalg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Unplugging USB device

On 10/20/05, CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I have experienced MANY times the Windows notice " ... it is not safe
to remove this device ..." or something close to it when requesting removal
of an attached USB device {just about any device}. Especially prevalent in
Windows 98 {all flavors}, less on Windows 2000 and lesser in Windows XP.

>     I have not found a solution and have given up looking for one. I yank
the device out {knowing the risks and KNOWING the device is NOT in use by
me} and have not experienced any data corruption nor device malfunction.

>     This has been my experience and I have posted this message so that
others who may have been "down this road" know they are not alone. I
suspect there are MANY.

Probably. I use USB flash drives quite a lot, and have never had any
problems just unplugging them.

--
Shyamal Gupta
Mumbai, India

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==

MCH Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Other MCH Links
http://snipurl.com/fmno