[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1339

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 09:17:10 -0700

           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Strange Bios Question
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Re: Yahoo Changes
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Re: Yahoo Changes
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. RE: BSOD after Win98 Update
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Strange errors after burning CD.
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Strange Bios Question
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Strange Bios Question
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Strange Bios Question
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: Re: Strange Bios Question
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:30:44 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Strange Bios Question

Ok here goes:

Got a computer setup to be used in an media/intenet room. The room
is not monitored 100% of the time.

I installed Clean Slate (more freedom thatn freezx or shield) the
program does everything I need, however HP with all thier wisdom
decided not to put an option to use a bios password.

I really need this option so I can stop someone from changing my
boot order in the bios and booting to a floppy and doing some
damage. It is rare yes, only 2 times someone tried in 2 years but it
does happen.

If I can not figure out a way to pass protect this thing I will have
to simply remove the cables for the cd and floppy and the users will
only be able to use this machine for internet.

Thanks for any suggestions, can't find anyting on google that
addresses this issue.

Vince

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:17:23 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Strange errors after burning CD.

Thanks for that page,

I kept it for future use because there are things there I can
use,but what it don't tell me is why the darn thing was working
perfect started erroring out and 30 minutes later quit erroring.

Guess I will never know.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, foofaraw in the middle
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxx> wrote:
> RE:
> Event Type:      Error
> Event Source:      Application Error
> Event Category:      (100)
> Event ID:      1004
>
> Read this:
> http://snipurl.com/dw2e
> Click the links in the Details boxes.
>

> RE:
> Event Type:      Error
> Event Source:      Application Error
> Event Category:      None
> Event ID:      1001
>
> Read this:
> http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=3D1001
> Click the links in the Details boxes.

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

It does tell you some possibilities that might have occurred..such as a
corrupted paging file. As time goes by newer version of itself replaces the
corrupted one.

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:30:16 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Strange Bios Question

Hi Vince,

You can always remove the BIOS battery for a few
minutes to clear the Password,  but I suggest that you
go here first and try these passwords that are
commonly used.
This site also has links to cracking software as a
last resort.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

HTH,

John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

--- Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok here goes:
>
> Got a computer setup to be used in an media/intenet
> room. The room
> is not monitored 100% of the time.
>
> I installed Clean Slate (more freedom thatn freezx
> or shield) the
> program does everything I need, however HP with all
> thier wisdom
> decided not to put an option to use a bios password.
>
> I really need this option so I can stop someone from
> changing my
> boot order in the bios and booting to a floppy and
> doing some
> damage. It is rare yes, only 2 times someone tried
> in 2 years but it
> does happen.
>
> If I can not figure out a way to pass protect this
> thing I will have
> to simply remove the cables for the cd and floppy
> and the users will
> only be able to use this machine for internet.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions, can't find anyting on
> google that
> addresses this issue.
>
> Vince

Message: 5
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:39:37 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Then what HP calls "secure boot" mode is likely what you want. It prevents
interruption of the boot process to select another boot device. I suspect
that any of the system-specific manuals in docs.hp.com would have a
description of it.
Take a look here. I don't know if this is the document that applies to your
machine. Try using the Secure command as described here perhaps:
http://docs.hp.com/en/A3725-96005/ch04s03.html

Otherwise...
Disable the DEL or F1 button (whichever is the key to access the BIOS/CMOS
setup) or disable the floppy and optical drives (CD/DVD drives) if no other
options is available to you. Have you called HP and ask them how you can
protect your BIOS?

[...]

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:34:24 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I've only seen BIOS passwords implemented in laptops.  The only things I
can think of are:

1.  Purchase a new BIOS that is made for your system, with a password
feature.  You might have to go to somebody other than HP, if you can't
persuade HP to do this for you.

2.  Purchase a BIOS extension rom that somehow password protects all BIOS
functions.  I've never actually seen this particular product, but that
doesn't mean you couldn't hire a programmer to produce one for a few
grand.  I use an extension in a few systems to enable larger hard drives,
and I have found that sometimes the bios extension can be installed in the
rom socket of a network card, where an option exists to boot over the LAN.

3.  Perhaps you can reduce the threat of somebody booting from a floppy by
removing the floppy drive from the system.  Or, at least, unplugging the
floppy drive from either the power or data cable.  Then, keep the case
locked (Dell cases have a place to put a padlock, I don't know the locking
methods of an HP) to keep unauthorized personnel from plugging the cable
back in.

A variation, is find yourself a creative hardware tech who knows how to
solder:  Have him obtain a key-operated switch.  Have him mount the switch
on the computer (may have to drill a hole for it) and wire the switch to
the +5Volt wire in the power-cable to the floppy drive.  Now, if the BIOS
gets enabled to boot off of the floppy, and the switch is turned-off, there=

will probably be an error message at some point of "floppy failure".
If you were to be worried about somebody booting off of an external USB
drive, then you have to somehow disable the USB ports (its easier to use a
motherboard that doesn't have USB ports, or doesn't even allow booting from=

a USB device.  There are a lot of older motherboards available which meet
that criteria).  If the USB connection on the case requires a short cable
to be run to the motherboard, then you can keep that cable
unplugged.  Again, it is something you'll find on older
motherboards.  Finally, you MAY want to put in an older CD/DVD drive in the=

system that doesn't allow booting.  Not sure if it such exists in DVD, but
I'm sure you could find an old 2x or 4x CD that isn't bootable.  This still=

assumes that you can secure the case to prevent the unauthorized from
opening it up and circumventing this.

Steve

At 02:30 PM 4/8/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Ok here goes:
>
>Got a computer setup to be used in an media/intenet room. The room
>is not monitored 100% of the time.
>
>I installed Clean Slate (more freedom thatn freezx or shield) the
>program does everything I need, however HP with all thier wisdom
>decided not to put an option to use a bios password.
>
>I really need this option so I can stop someone from changing my
>boot order in the bios and booting to a floppy and doing some
>damage. It is rare yes, only 2 times someone tried in 2 years but it
>does happen.
>
>If I can not figure out a way to pass protect this thing I will have
>to simply remove the cables for the cd and floppy and the users will
>only be able to use this machine for internet.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions, can't find anyting on google that
>addresses this issue.
>
>Vince

Message: 7
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:43:12 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

John, what Vince wants is to password-protect the BIOS of the HPs in his
network since their BIOSes do not have such an option.

John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Hi Vince,

You can always remove the BIOS battery for a few
minutes to clear the Password,  but I suggest that you
go here first and try these passwords that are
commonly used.
This site also has links to cracking software as a
last resort.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

HTH,

John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

Message: 8
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:54:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

BIOS passwords are used on all types of computers, both desktops and
laptops.

Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've only seen BIOS passwords implemented in laptops.

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 9
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:19:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Yahoo Changes

I have read some of the suggestions posted here, including yours, Vince.
But the only way we can find out if they are any good or not is to test
them all. If anyone here has the time to create a rudimentary forum using
these sites/softwares, let us know your findings. Post your reviews here
please.
I really like SaveMyButt.com's features except for two lacking options:
1. There is no pre-posting or pre-publishing moderation option. The only
way you can moderate a posting is right after it is posted. That would be
after the fact when the damage is done. I'd like to be able to delete
postings that I consider to be SPAM, porn-related, and racists or offensive
postings, before they get published in the forum.
2. I like the forum to be open only to members. This gives us a measure of
privacy and not be open to the whole world. My goal is not for this group
to grow to thousands and thousands of members. My goal is for us, mods and
members, to be able to help out other members who have legitimate PC
concerns and problems. If the forum grows even bigger, fine, but I won't
lose sleep thinking on how to expand it.

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While surfing around I found this place. Could it be any good?

http://tinyurl.com/5oqny

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Bobby and all,
> As of now, we don't know what to do, whether to move the group or migrate
to perhaps Google or join with SaveMyButt. But there is a problem with how
to moderate the group and some privacy concerns that are not met by the
alternatives we are considering. Any suggestions are welcome of course.
Implementation is another :)

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 10
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Estavi, Freelists is good but I was thinking of something like SaveMyButt.
Why? Several reasons:
1.  No emails are required, although you can configure it to notify you in
case someone responds to your postings.
2.  The Edit option is cool. You can correct spellings, grammar, rephrase
statements and make your old postings neater. You can also make corrections
for erroneous info posted earlier.
3.  It is flexible. Options to close a thread, move it or delete it are
available.
4.  I like the announcements and stickies options for important
announcements, alerts, and information of immediate consequence and
concerns to members.
5.  I like the way postings can be grouped under a single thread topic.
6.  I like the idea of being able to post pictures and graphics without
endangering the viewer's computer, unlike when done in emails via
attachments.

The above are the pros. The cons, I already posted in a related email.
The ball is in your court, members and mods.

Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sean:

A couple of years ago, some groups left Yahoo out of
frustration and joined, I believe, "Freelists" which
they liked very well.  Don't know anymore but it may
be worth a try.

Estavi

--- Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bobby and all,
> As of now, we don't know what to do, whether to move
> the group or migrate to perhaps Google or join with
> SaveMyButt. But there is a problem with how to
> moderate the group and some privacy concerns that
> are not meant by the alternatives we are
> considering. Any suggestions are welcome of course.
> Implementation is another :)

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 11
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: BSOD after Win98 Update

You're spot on on your approach in troubleshooting this problem. Well done,
Gerry!

"Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx> wrote:
"...Fatal Exception 0D occurred at 0000:0000FF00.
The current application will be terminated..."
I asked him to reboot to Safe Mode if possible (it was), and had him go to
Ctrl-Panel and uninstall the latest (5) Windows updates. He then rebooted
to normal mode and all was well.

Now, he'll go back to the Windows Update and install one update at a time
(if they appear to be relevant to his needs). We'll try to dope out which
update, if any, is at fault.

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 12
   Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:04:10 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That I did not know about the replaceing of the page file. I must
have missed it on the page, for I only had 3 hours sleep last night
working on my Clean Slate/bios issue.

Anyway I bet that is what happened. I say that because of the fact
it was the windows xp built in cd software I used and not my Nero.
It was for just one quick set of files that was going to be trashed
5 minutes after making the cd. I bet windows some how screwed up the
page file when copying the files to be burned to the temp directory
or during the deleting of the temps when done.

Anyway since I can't prove it I will just accept that as the reason
unless it happens again.

Thanks
Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, foofaraw in the middle
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxx> wrote:
> It does tell you some possibilities that might have occurred..such
as a corrupted paging file. As time goes by newer version of itself
replaces the corrupted one.
]

Message: 13
   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:31:57 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi foo,

I must surely have misread his post.  Sorry Vince!

I don't know any way to PW a BIOS that does not have
that option, but although I am aware that HP have some
strange processes in their PCs, I doubt that they
would be stupid enough to have/use a BIOS without that
option.

Perhaps a call to HP from Vinve would be in order.

Cheers,

John Lehn

--- foofaraw in the middle
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John, what Vince wants is to password-protect the
> BIOS of the HPs in his network since their BIOSes do
> not have such an option.
>

> John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Hi Vince,
>
> You can always remove the BIOS battery for a few
> minutes to clear the Password,  but I suggest that
> you
> go here first and try these passwords that are
> commonly used.
> This site also has links to cracking software as a
> last resort.
>
> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm
>
> HTH,
>
> John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

> removed]

Message: 14
   Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:26:23 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the replys;

I got answers similer to what I figured on. There was one idea in
there I like but not sure how to implement it and one other
suggestion I will ask if anyone has heard about.

First this computer is going in a room where we offer free
computer/internet use to business visitors 24 hours a day
unmonitored, just have to know the combination to the lock to get
in. The only reason for protecting the bios is so someone can not
bypass clean slate and screw up the computer so I have to rebuild
it. There is nothing in the form of data to protect.

This is not a big threat for us because most people just leave well
enough alone and go about thier business just sometimes we get
someone that thinks they know more than they do and could mess
things up.

I was hopeing to give the users use of the CD and Floppy but I guess
I will just disconnect or remove them if necessary. There is another
computer they can use if they need those items. I will purchase
tamper proof screws that take a special wrench to remove so just
anyone can not open the case on the computer in question.

No what I liked was the possibility of disabling the function key
that is required to get into the bios in the first place.

I will do a search on how to do this after I post.

The other suggestion I got from Clean Slate is if I had a floppy
cable that did not have the twist in the cable at one end I could
attach that cable and the floppy would not be bootable. Anyone ever
heard of this?

Thanks
Vince
Going to google to figure out hot to disable that button.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Vince"
<timechaser@xxxx> wrote:
however HP with all thier wisdom
> decided not to put an option to use a bios password.

Message: 15
   Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 01:50:42 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hay John;

I did get a reply from HP to my email and sure enough they did not
put a password option in this machine. I guess they figured it's
original intended use was for a personal computer and figured a bios
password was not needed.

Guess another lesson learned, from now on I will be checking the
bios of computers I get for the room before I spend the hours
setting up the way we want them.

They never figured someone would be using it like I am as an older
machine only for internet and be in a place where it could be
damaged.

We use the old cheap machines like this in that room because since
it is not monitored they could be stolen at night and surfing speen
is not limted by the processor. The machine is getting a 12mb a
second download on our fios system. Never had one machine taken in 3
years but people do tend to play.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Lehn
<johnelehn2002@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi foo,
>
> I must surely have misread his post.  Sorry Vince!
>
> I don't know any way to PW a BIOS that does not have
> that option, but although I am aware that HP have some
> strange processes in their PCs, I doubt that they
> would be stupid enough to have/use a BIOS without that
> option.
>
> Perhaps a call to HP from Vinve would be in order.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John Lehn

Message: 16
   Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 19:57:14 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Strange Bios Question

At 01:26 AM 4/9/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>Thanks for the replys;
>The other suggestion I got from Clean Slate is if I had a floppy
>cable that did not have the twist in the cable at one end I could
>attach that cable and the floppy would not be bootable. Anyone ever
>heard of this?

I think this will result in the floppy being addressed as the B-drive, but
that won't necessarily make the boot-floppy unbootable.  Some bioses are
smart enough to boot on "any floppy detected."

Steve

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DMODERATOR RULE: Delete everything below & including this=
 line when
responding to any group email.=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch