[macvoiceover] vuescan/readiris mystery solved

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <chomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:12:44 -0600 (CST)

This weekend I decided to do a google search re: vuescan and readiris woring together. What came up first was an email from this list which I had never received as far as I know; since I've had my problems with being bounced off this list (not by Keith!!!; by the listserv) I guess it's not amazing that this could happen. This email does give information about using vuescan and readiris together. I'll post it again at the end of this email for any others who might not have seen it.

I did get vuescan and readiris working together. I also tried the suggestion of readiris and the driver interface instead of vuescan. I think this may work for those using the lide90 as the Navigator system used is more accessible. The canoscan Toolbox used with the lide60 isn't nearly so accessible so anybody with a lide 60 may be better off with vuescan. To get readiris and vuescan working together, follow the instructions you will find in the post i missed, pasted at the bottom of this email.

I did some experimentation, scanning material with vuescan, with vuescan and readiris, and scanning with abbyy finereader in windows. The one thing I should point out is that I'm using a demo which gives me a watermark with vuescan and that could affect results. I found that passing material from vuescan to readiris does produce better results than using vuescan alone but the results aren't quite as good as those with abbyy finereader. It would be up to the individual user to determine how good is good enbough for him/her. One nice thing is that if your page is oriented incorrectly, the correct side facing dnown but the rotation being wrong, you can have the image rotated and recognize the page again instead of re-scanning. Of course, with Abbyy, the orientation doesn't matter as long as you have the right side of the page faced down.

Here are a couple of tips from my experience:

1. If you are using the demo, open readiris before you start, because your first page won't be processed as readiris will open when vuescan finishes but will stop at the registration dialog.

2. In vuescan, it appears to me that you need to have an image typed checked in output but not the ocr box; I checked the tiff box.

3. At least in my attempts, though I have automatic ocr checked in the readiris process menu, once readiris opens you still have to do cmd-r to start this process of recognizing the page. I wasn't sure if other things needed to be done to improve the scan or if command-r was sufficient; this is all I did.

5. The first time readiris opens and i believe on subsequent opening until you do something about it, there is a dialogue for choosing your preferred output type and also for linking various output types to specific applications. This is a rather tedious job because no applications are listed; you have to go in the pop-up menu to add application and then navigate the open dialog and choose the application you want. This has to be done separately for each output type and you need to make sure that the application you choose actually does get selected and shows up in the application pop-up menu when you select the output type in the output type menu. By doing this, you can get your results to open in text edit or safari or whatever application you choose, depending on the output.

6. I didn't have problems with readiris crashing when I did cmd-r to recognize. However, do cmd-n to start a new document if you don't want all your results accumulating in the text edit or safari file or whatever you choose.

For completeness, here is the post I had previously missed.

     * From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
     * To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
     * Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:05:41 -0700

Hi

   I've not used the corporate edition, so I'm not sure how it differs from the
standard edition. It's a bit late for
   this, but you could have purchased the upgrade for $129. It's a bit
mislabeled, as it does function as an upgrade, but
   also functions as a fresh install of Read Iris PRO. At any rate, on the 11.5
DMG there's only one file, Install Read
   Iris PRO.app. Most likely the app you have on the CD is the installer. It
won't hurt to try it. If this installer is
   anything like the installer for Pro, you're going to have to use actual
mouse clicks (vo-shift-space) on the buttons to
   make it work. This isn't necessary in Read Iris itself, just the installer,
as it uses an older carbon- based
   installation program. Also, when you get to the license agreement, interact
with the scroll bar and scroll all the way
   down. Then keep pushing down arrow until you actually get to the bottom,
only then will it let you click the next
   button. Once it's installed then you can configure Read Iris and VueScan to
work together. To do so make sure Read Iris
   is set to load images from files, and not scan them. Go to VueScan's prefs
tab and make sure external viewer is
   checked, and set the external viewer program to Read Iris. It is a
pre-listed choice, so no other configuration should
   be needed after that. You should be able to scan with VueScan and the image
should then load into Read Iris and can be
   recognized. Note though that this is with Pro, not corporate. For all I know
corporate may be much better at scanning
   and eliminate the need for VueScan entirely.

 --

Cheryl