[macvoiceover] using the applications alias in a .dmg file to get to that folder

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac voice over list" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:26:18 -0800

Hi all, just wondering, and that is, vlc came out with a new update on
Wednesday, vlc 9.8A, so I downloaded it, and installed it, but I had
heard from one of the lists that many .dmg files have a short cut to
the applications folder, so I arrowed up to the alias after copying the
vlc.app, and I pressed command o to open the applications folder, and
pasted over the current vlc file.  Now, here's where things get
interesting, and that is, tonight, I got a prompt for another update,
so I downloaded it, but when I copied it from my downloads folder to my
programs folder, where I have archives of everything I've installed
thus far, it said that an older version of the program already exists,
do you want to replace it with a new one, so, I said yes, and then,
used the applications alias to go to the applications folder, and
pasted, as per usual, but I decided to run vlc player from the dock,
and it still said there was an update available, and that my current
version was out of date, so I did everything a second time tonight, but
this time, I just used command shift A to go directly to the
applications folder, and then, vlc didn't bother me anymore, so, via
the long way around, should you use the alias short cuts in the disk
image files as a convenient way to get to the applications folder, and
if so, what is the propper way to do so, or should you just forget the
short cuts, and go directly to the applications folder.  In all cases,
I copied the vlc.app, and not the short cut to the applications folder,
it was how I went to the applications folder which seemed to be the
problem, so just curious about this, and maybe I wasn't doing something
correctly with the alias, but it looks as though from now on, I'll not
use those alias short cuts in the .dmg files to go the applications
folder.  Thanks for any assistance with this.

Marty