[macvoiceover] Re: question about changing file associations in termanal

  • From: "Babcock, Michael Alex" <mbabcock06@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 04:34:55 -0800

hi;
ok, how do i open it in pico and such?
On Jul 10, 2008, at 4:32 AM, Travis Siegel wrote:

These configuration files are saved as the root user. You don't have permission to open them, because you are not the root user. You'll need to learn about sudo, and how to modify unix permissions if you're going to be fiddling with system-level configuration files.
The man page you want to read is the one for chmod and chown.
Use them carefully, as you could break a lot of things if commands are entered incorrectly. Not that you will screw things up, only that you can do so, so be very careful when using any command that changes file permissions especially on system level files.

On Jul 10, 2008, at 7:17 AM, Babcock, Michael Alex wrote:

ok here's the fix i got for now, i copyed a file to my home/desktop directory, attempted to open it and when osx said there wasn't a program to open it i chose text edit, then when i opened
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf
in terminal it worked. But when i tryed to save the file it didn't work, said i needed to give it permitions. I dont know how to do that, i tryed to chmod it but that didn't work for some reason. I'll try again though
thanks
mike

On Jul 10, 2008, at 4:13 AM, Babcock, Michael Alex wrote:

hey all;
i have found the
/etc/apache2/httpd.conf
file in terminal. I want to open .conf files in textedit but do not know how to associate that with textedit in terminal. Can this be done? or how do i find the actioal /etc/apache2 directory in finder? I'm curious for i need to un comment the line in order to allow apache to use php:
LoadModule php5_module        libexec/apache2/libphp5.so

thanks
mikeA wise man once said, "death is but the next great adventure to the well organized mind"
Currently in itunes 's  off of the disk,  is Not Loaded.
E-mail: mbabcock06 at wou dot edu
personal blog: http://gwfans.net
aim: ginnyslove2007
Msn: messaging@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx