[macvoiceover] Re: new mac user day one

  • From: "ashley" <ash.cox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:17:59 +0100

hi, i've answered the problems in the message below. Hope this helps! Ash
Website:
http://www.ashleycox.co.uk/
Podcast:
http://www.bavis.co.uk/theactechpodcast
Blog:
http://daysofthegeek.blogspot.com
----- Original Messa> Greetings to all,

Thanks for all of the encouragement.  Though I haven't solved the problems
yet I have had enough success that I am really excited about the
possibilities.

Here are some of the issues. First of all when in key help of the first 10 function keys only the f5 and f6 speak. six or seven other keys don't speak either. If it stopped there I wouldn't even think of it. This is because function keys are setup for harddware functions. To solve this:
press control+option+D
use your left and right arrows to find "system preferences"
press return
when system preferences opens, tab to "keyboard."
Press space
A dialog will appear, and you can use control+option+right arrow. Do this until you hear "use all f1 through F12 keys as standard function keys" checkbox (may not be it's exact name but close)
Press control option space on this to check it.
Press cmd Q
the menu bar shortcut will now work.

Next, after I completed the registration process it shows me me in the
Desktop which of course is empty.  I do a VO-shift-down are arrow and
nothing happens. No other Vo commands seem to be working at all. The VO Commands won't work unless you have something there; there are no toolbars on the desktop, no tables etc. If you want the "macintosh hd" option on your desktop, you do the following:
when on the desktop, press cmd, to go to prefferences.
Press ctrl+option+right and left arrows to find "hard disks checkbox"
press VO Space to check it.
Press cmd+W
You can now press cmd O to open the harddrive and explore it's contense.

When I try a ctrl-f2 to go to the menue bar nothing happens. Again, a function keys problem. See instructions above

I should mention that earlier I talked with a person that suggested that I
may need to connect a monitor to the machine and it may work better.  No
such luck. This does help sometimes; like when displaying graphics although you arn't using them the mini still needs to display them to something.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Bob

ps. I think I am getting converted over because just now when I tried to do
a CTL-SHIFT-END I did the windows keyboard equivalent of VO-END.