[macvoiceover] Re: itunes and ipod

  • From: "Ron J." <Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:50:25 -0500

For Ginny, and anyone else on the list...

Resetting iPods:

I'm not certain, exactly, how to reset any other iPod, except the 1st and 2nd generation shuffles, although I'm sure there is a way to do so. Best thing I can suggest is checking the documentation which came with your particular iPod.

If you have either a 1st (512 GB & 1 GB gumpack), or 2nd (smaller 1GB & 2GB (these have no USB port)) generation iPod Shuffle, then you need to download the Apple iPod Reset Utility V. 1.0.2. NOTE: This utility will *ONLY* work with 1st and 2nd generation iPod shuffles - no other iPods!!!

When you launch this utility, you'll see the name of your iPod, its serial number, the percentage of space used, the actual space used, the free space, and the current software version. There'll also be a "Reset" button. Press it, and your unit will be "hardware reset", all the data on the iPod will be erased, and the latest iPod software version will be installed into it.

This should do the trick, and your iPod should live again! If it doesn't, its time for your iPod to see the Doc! <grin!>

Uploading Playlist to iPod:

        This is pretty simple, really.

        1. Navigate to the desired playlist, in the "Sources List".
2. Navigate to the "Songs List", use VO-Shift-Down Arrow, to interact with it.
        3. Use Command-A (Select all), to select every item in your playlist.
4. Now, use VO-Shift-M (VO's Contextual Menu Items, I.e. "Right- Click" command), to bring up the contextual menu. 5. Use VO-Down Arrow, to navigate to the menu item, "Add To Playlist", VO-Right arrow, to open the sub-menu, then, VO-Down arrow, again, till you reach the name of your iPod.
        6. Now, select the iPod, using VO-Space.

At this point, assuming I haven't steered you wrong, music should begin downloading to your iPod! Allow the process to finish, and you should be good to go! To verify you have the correct music in the iPod, simply navigate to it, in the "Sources List", then stop interacting with the list, navigate to the "Songs List", interact with it, and see what you have there.

HTH

Ron

On Mar 17, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Ginny wrote:

Hi, list. I’ve created a playlist which I would like to have as the only music on my ipod. I know this is easy, but for some reason I can’t seem to figure it out. Could anyone help? Also, in a related story, my ipod seems to have crashed and I cannot restore it from the itunes screen. Isn’t there a way to reset an ipod from the actual ipod itself?
Thanks much for the help.
Ginny

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".