[macvoiceover] Re: data base software

  • From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:37:43 -0500 (EST)

mysql or postgresql are both msaccess competitors. If I'm not much mistaken I think it's mysql that comes as part of openoffice.org 3.0's package. So if you go to openoffice.org's website and go into daily snapshots directory and select the intel aqua version of the snapshot provided you use leopard you should be able to download the image and get it installed. Here's the thing, when I started it up after downloading nothing happened at all until I hit the command key then that triggered the installation to start. So command-o into the package and when nothing happens hit the command key one more time. You may be able to install mysql or postgresql some other way, but I haven't yet found a web tutorial describing how it's done that actually worked for me using VoiceOver. There are so many programming possibilities on the mac. Apple has a apple developer community you can join if you're into programming but if you have leopard you want to install the development packages on the system. It's the devtools package I think and that installs what it needs on your system after that. Then to find out what you just did, examine contents of the developer directory. You might almost do better using emacs on the mac for html-connected stuff since emacs speaks html without difficulty.