[macvoiceover] Re: combo installer vs software update?

  • From: Travis Siegel <tsiegel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:40:37 -0500

On Mar 24, 2011, at 1:26 PM, James Dean wrote:

I did the update day before yesterday, and I have three mail accounts. Never had to enter the password to any of them. Weirdness!
Generally, when mail asks you to enter your password, it's because the server is unreachable, or for some reason, the server rejected the password/username combination. This can happen for any number of reasons, but usually, it's as simple as the server isn't reachable at this time, and a simple retry solves the problem. Sometimes, it's because the mail server authenticates over it's own network, and although the server itself is working, perhaps another part of it's network isn't, so it can't reach the server that does the authenticating, and so cannot verify you're the person you're claiming, because it can't talk with it's authorization verifier over it's own internal network. You of course would have no way of knowing that, and neither does mail, so when the mail server rejects the login, it simply tells you the information is wrong. Perhaps not the best approach, but it's certainly the simplest.