[macvoiceover] Some metronome apps for iPhone

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mac Voiceover list Mac Voiceover List <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:20:13 -0600

Having test-driven some metronome apps, I've found a few that are ok. None of
them are as cool as the old iTick Express, but alas we move on. These ones are
all free, I didn't test-drive any paid ones.

Coconut
Very basic, you can divide bpm down into tenths, which you may need for some
songs that aren't right on. It runs from 4 picker dials using standard flick up
and down gestures to adjust. first is for 100s, next is for 10s, third is for
1s, fourth is for tenths.  So if you want to set for 120 you would set the
pickers for 1, 2, and 0. For 88 you would set the for 0, 8, and 8 etc.

Beatdown is also pretty basic, you can pick from 3 drum sounds. There are
buttons for tempo up and down, and a picker that reads as percentage but
actually seems to pop up and down by 20 bpm.

Metronome Plus looks to be the most comprehensive and also the most
complicated, but it seems pretty accessible. In the notes for a recent update
they talk about better Voiceover control. I haven't played with it much. One
thing, it seems to lock in landscape mode, so watch for that.

Tempo Perfect from NCH is the best for controls, as you can flick up and down
through the tempo picker, and you can set your time signature to 3/4 2/4, 4/4
etc. The tone is a little electronic, and like many digital metronomes it uses
a higher tone for the accented beat in the measure, which doesn't seem as
natural if you're used to following a drum beat.

So there you go, a few tips that should narrow down the hunt. I actually found
something that looks like the website of the guy who built iTick express, if I
can make contact I'll find out what gives.

Peace,

Ian