[macvoiceover] Re: Sending attachments to Windows users

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 22:28:07 -0700

Hi Russell, I don't know how common this is, but I have had times
where, if the file name is too long in mail, when it gets back to the
windows machine, the file name and extention are changed to something
like unnamed attachment.att
and I have to change the file name and extention back to what they were
before sending the files from the mac, and then, they'll open, and
this, even though the check box is checked that says send windows
friendly attachments.  I've also bounced messages with attachments from
the mac to the windows machine, only to find, that even though there's
an attachment, it can't be opened, unless I save the attachment first
on the mac, and then, send it to my other account, as I'm currently
storing my mp3's and things on the windows machine.
On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:44:35 -0600, Russell Solowoniuk wrote:

Hi all,

A friend of mine has an iMac.  She sent me six spreadsheet files that
she
created using MS Excel for the Mac that she wanted me to print for her.
 I'm
still using Windows XP (but not for long - grin>), and Office 2007.

Anyway, four of the six files were fine and showed up with the XLSX
extension, but two of the files had a .DAT extension.  She created them
all
in the same way.  I changed the extension back to .XLSX and was able to
open
and print the files.  Does anyone know why some file extensions would
be
changed to .DAT?  Is this a common problem when sending attachments
from the
Mac to PC platform?

Thanks,

Russell