[macvoiceover] Pages and VoiceOver

  • From: Ray Campbell <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 23:30:38 +0000

Hello:

I'm working with a client who is in school, and probably will need to write
papers.  He uses a MacBook with VoiceOver.  I thought the Pages application
would be a good word processing App for him to use for writing papers.  When I
open up an existing Pages publication, it comes up and I can read it with VO.
However, when I bring up a new Pages document, I can't seem to find where you
type in text.  I first get a dialog that asks me to choose which template I
want to use.  When I choose, all I can see is a tool bar, scroll area, and a
few other controls but no area that is obvious where I can type in text.

I was looking at Pages because I'm not sure Text Edit is robust enough for
doing college level papers with all kinds of fonts, formatting, bolding,
underlining and stuff like that.  So my question is, is anyone using Pages
successfully for heavy word processing?  If not, what are you using?  I've
thought about OpenOffice, but I understand that Office for Mac isn't accessible
with VoiceOver.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray Campbell, Adaptive Technology Help Desk Technician, The Chicago Lighthouse
ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent via Outlook Web Access