[macvoiceover] Re: OT: Converting text into audio for iPods

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:03:52 -0600

There is a command line tool from Apple called chaptertool that will do this. I never thought about markers at time intervals is that something people want? I have my recording so that tehy break at major divisions from my DAISY source recordings si it is simple for me to use audiobook builder to do this.

I have found the developers of audiobook builder very cooperative perhaps they could add a split file at x minutes function or even one that looks for long pauses and does it.

Greg Kearney
On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:07 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi Greg
Actually, Audiobook Builder is designed to make one m4b audiobook out of several files. It could be used for this task, but it will not do the text to audio conversion and you will have to manually split the audio into separate files before using Audiobook builder. I have all of the process automated myself except for the chapter marks. I'd like to be able to put a chapter mark every so many minutes and haven't found an easy way to do this yet. I can use Amadeus to split it up after so many minutes and join it together with audiobook builder, but that's not the level of automation I'm looking for. Too bad Amadeus doesn't have automater actions.

On Sep 17, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Greg Kearney wrote:

There is an inexpensive and VoiceOver compatible program for doing this called Audiobook Builder.

Greg
On Sep 17, 2008, at 6:25 PM, Jerry Matheny wrote:

I was wondering what method you all use for converting text, such as eBooks, into audio that can be used for listening on iPods? And is there any method that will include chapter marks?

Thanks in advance