[macvoiceover] Macbook (or Macbook Pro) vs. air as relates to voiceover

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:37:56 -0500

Hi all.

My old linux thinkpad t23 is finally refusing to boott and is giving me all
sorts of errors that would indicate hard drive failure and it's old enough that
I hate to put money into it. I really would have prefered not to buy anything
just now but I was using my linux machine with a Bible program that allows me
to look up verses and passages quickly enough, when hooked up with my
braillelite and using the text terminal, that I can keep up and read verses
when asked. My mac mini is quite portable but has no battery. I could get
another old laptop off of ebay and have had good results with that in the past
but I wonder if maybe I would be better off to go ahead and get a new Mac
laptop of some kind as I can have the best of all worlds with it by adding
Macports and fink and I suppose even vmware fusion if I wanted. So now I'm
trying to decide, should I decide on this expenditure, between some type of
other macbook and an Air. What I want to know from this list is: as far as
using the keyboard comfortably for voiceover (I don't like the wireless
keyboards where I can only do vokeys with one hand without crossing hands) and
trackpad, are there advantages or disadvantages to one over the other. The
reason I'm thinking about an Air is its extreme portability. Input on this
decision would be appreciated. I don't want to start a discussion that could
get out of the parameters of this list but if people could give me input as to
whether the choice of an Air or other Macbook matters as far as relates to
accessibility, I'd appreciate your observations.

Thanks.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth