[macvoiceover] IMAP Solution was: Where Messages Go...

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:08:39 -0400

Hi,

According to the wiki on Dreamhost, a local mail client may have a larger number of "unread" messages than are really as the local machine needs to report back the read and deleted messages to the server. Because IMAP clients, like Mail, also get information like the count of unread messages from said server, the two can get out of sync now and then.

Happy Counting,
cdh
On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:00 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly certain that you are right. If I delete an email on one, it's gone from the other; if I leave one as read but still in the Inbox, it shows up in both. The problem was the number of messages reported in the title bar that tossed me for a loop.

As for Mobile Me, all it did on the iMac was to bring over the settings for the IMAP account which I then read in Mail. I've seen the numbers in the Mail title bar get a bit screwy from time to time in the past and don't know why it fixes itself sometimes and not others.

I've a headache...

cdh
On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:22 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

imap on the mac and the iphone work similarly to imap anywhere else. youdon't actually need mobile me to manage this. it could be that some updating is not taking lace ina timely fashion.

On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:09 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been poking around a bit and think that the problem is on the server and some setting I have on Dreamhost. It seems that some email messages are sort of falling into some kind of black hole as, while the mail readers on both computers (running simultaneously) report a bunch of messages in the title bar, they don't seem to appear in my Inbox, where I have have lots of messages that I've actually read stored for processing later.

Of course, maybe one or both of the machines are confused by what is and is not read and they are both reporting the number incorrectly where messages have been deleted and still look to the software like they remain in the Inbox. I'm not sure...

I'm heading off to the Dreamhost wiki to seewhat I can find.

cdh
On Sep 17, 2009, at 7:57 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

I need more info to help with this. which machine does which? if you use one machine and then the other and then switch the order, does it work the same way? this is often a property of the imap server.

On Sep 17, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi Folks,

I use IMAP to pick up the email on my hofstader.com account. I recently set up Mobile Me so my MacBook and iMac could both look at the information and I could move back and forth easily - or at least that was the goal.

Now, if I open Mail on either device, the title bar says something like, "Inbox 250 messages," but only 75 or so appear in my Inbox on one machine and the other has the rest in its Inbox. Clearly, both are aware of these messages but it seems like "first come, first served" as to which actually gets the information.

I'd guess that there is some kind of setting that would let them both get everything but poking around the View menu and other settings in Mail, I can't seem to find anything that would logically suggest that it would correct this oddity.

Thanks,
cdh