[macvoiceover] Re: Evernote and Mail

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 23:06:29 -0600

Ok, I love Evernote and run a lot of my life through it. That being said, It
took a lot of getting used to, and a recent update made things slightly tougher
from a Voiceover perspective. Only slightly mind you, they just made something
so you have to do a mouse click on it when previously VO space worked.

I haven't had to log in fresh for a while, so can't comment on the process.

Here's what I like about Evernote.
Fairly accessible, uses pretty understandable layouts. Once you get used to
their lingo it gets easier.
Better organization by notebook than the native Notes app. By this I mean I can
put all my camp notes into one notebook, all my business start-up notes into
another.
Notes sync seamlessly between the Mac and the iPhone app.
You can share notebooks with anyone. With the free plan they can just read your
notes in that shared notebook. With the paid plan you can give them permission
to add to and edit specific notes or notebooks.
You can easily email information into a note or notebook. You get a dedicated
email address, and I set mine as a favorite in Fleksy so I can easily get text
in. You can use some characters in the subject line to direct the text into
specific notes or notebooks. This is a good work-around for an issue noted
below.

What I don't like about Evernote:
A few quirks in the layout.
I can't figure outhow to share notebooks from the Mac app. I almost always have
my iPhone on the go simultaneously, and sharing works really well from the
iPhone app. I havne't had a response from support on this yet.
The iPhone app uses some sort of non-standard edit field that is hard to get
text into. If I need to get information into a note from my phone I usually
email it in. Haven't grilled support about this yet. I will say that I have the
same issue with the edit fields in the iPhone Notes app, so maybe it's
something I just need to figure out better.

Ok, there are some thoughts on Evernote. If you need some step by step
instructions once you're signed in let me know.

Ian