[macvoiceover] Re: Apple TV was: Re: Re: Accessing Audio Description with Menus on Future OSX Releases

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:50:32 -0500

Chris
Stream from iTunes means exactly that. When doing this, your Apple TV is basically a receiver for your iTunes content. The content must be on your Mac, not the Apple TV, for this to work, as you cannot stream content from the Apple TV's builtin HD via iTunes, i.e. you cannot use iTunes as a remote for the Apple TV, though I must say it would be awesome if you could. Streaming is just that, no more or less, unfortunately, content streamed over the network to your Apple TV from itunes. I've written to Apple a few times concerning Apple TV accessibility, and I'd suggest you do so as well. The more people they know of that want it, the more it's likely to happen. That being said, I don't know how likely it is right now, as Apple considers the Apple TV as a sideline project at this point, sort of back stage from the iPhone and the Macintosh. I wouldn't be surprised if iPhone access is higher on their priority list than Apple TV access is, though I must say Apple TV would almost certainly be easier and could probably be implemented relatively quickly.

On Feb 6, 2009, at 16:31, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Stream from iTunes? Does this mean I can get the Apple tV to play music and videos by having iTunes on my Mac tell it to? If so, can the Apple TV HD be used to hold the media data? Will Apple tV also back up to Time Capsule?

Happy Hacking,
cdh
On Feb 6, 2009, at 2:20 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

No there is not a web interface. You either use the apple remote, or have it stream from your itunes library. No web interface.

On Feb 6, 2009, at 13:00, Michael Babcock wrote:

Is there not a web interface to the apple tv? IF So what can this webi nterface do?

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
        --Douglas Adams