[mac4theblind] introduction and questions

  • From: Ari Damoulakis <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 01:25:12 +0200

Hi everyone
First I'd like to apologise if you get this message on a few apple
groups, but I really want as much advice as I can get. Also sorry that
this post is quite long, I'd be greatful if you can read to the end
because its a bit confused.
My name is Ari, I'm a totally blind student from South Africa.
My question is, I need to decide between an IPhone or an IPad. I have
some thoughts below, but I'm worried that I might be overlooking
something when making this decision, so need some feedback.
My main aim for looking at these devices is actually not as a phone.
What I want to do is, I have a Braillex Trio and I want to connect
this to either the IPad or IPhone and take notes in my lectures, and
then also use the device as a diary and basically to manage life. If
anyone has had any experience of using these devices as notetakers
(I've heard some blind people apparrently do), I'd please like to know
your experiences. You write your notes on the device, but then is it
possible to transfer your notes to your PC, or if you need to is it
easy to share them with other students or lecturers and how did you do
this?
   Now when deciding between the IPhone and IPad, I am thinking like
this. The IPhone is better because it has GPS and Siri and it can do
everything that the IPad can, even more than the IPad can? Am I right
when I think that the IPad just seems to me exactly like an IPhone,
just with a big screen so that sighted people can read easily. As far
as I can see, as a totally blind person there are no benefits to
choosing the IPad over the IPhone? Or am I totally wrong and am I
overlooking some really obvious things?
Thanks very much
Ari