[mac4theblind] Re: Mac information

  • From: Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mack for the blind list blind list <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 15:05:12 -0700

You can do it from preview as well. Just cmd a then cmd plus c then launch
text edit and hit cmd option plus shift plus v. I dont' remember where to get
skim but check macupdate.com <http://macupdate.com/> Of corse a pdf that's an
image won't work. You need ocr programs to convert. I don't have on ein mind as
I use knfb reader on the phone to do this.

On Jul 7, 2015, at 1:53 PM, Stephens Leslie <leslie956@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sarah,
Where can we get skim? Is it within this program that you are able to paste
the PDF to a text editor? Thanks.

Leslie

On Jul 7, 2015, at 3:37 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, I can navigate pdfs fine with a nice little program called skim. It
organizes the pdf fine. and if I need to I just paste it in to a text edit
document with command shift option v in to a text edit window.

As for accessibility I find it is for me better then windows. it's a
different beast to learn but I have managed to learn most of it in about 2-3
days after getting my mac and that was 5 years ago. I now do some advanced
remote ssh stuff am constantly learning.

I'd say go for it, try it out for 2 weeks and if you don't like it then go
back to windows, but I am a person who spends 95 percent of my time on mac
and the other 5 percent on windows but that is only to play some games and
access firefox.
On Jul 7, 2015, at 12:18 PM, dan <oxo404@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi,

if you are coming from windows then i will seriously re-think about moving
to the mac.
Many people, including myself have sold off our newly purchased Macs and
gone back to windows.
The Mac operating system is I’m afraid inferior to windows in respect of
accessibility. For example, navigating PDFs on the Mac is dreadful.

,
On 7 Jul 2015, at 20:02, Nesma Aly <nesmaaly123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am interested in getting a Mac laptop, I was wondering how you all liked
it, how accessible it is and if you have any other comments suggestions or
recommendations please let me know thank you

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2015, at 14:00, <gracewellness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<gracewellness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sarah,

Something strange happens here. Although the Apple scripts are unchecked,
I still see date and time when I press right option t. Now I went to
utility again, and when I check allow voiceover to be controlled by apple
scripts, it says password security edit text. If I press tab, I read
cancel, modify settings, and my name.
Is there anything wrong? What can I do?
Thank you,
Rena