[mac4theblind] List policy and dictatorships

  • From: John Panarese <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:40:09 -0400

   There is nothing more I can’t stand than  when people start playing the
“dictatorship” and “free speech” cards on public lists.  That isn’t the way to
win friends and influence people.  At least, certainly not on this list with
me.  I am the farthest thing from political correctness and I’d just assume
remove you from the list if you are going to try that tact here.

    When you sign up for this list, there is a list of rules that is sent to
you.  As a list subscriber, it is your job and responsibility to read those
rules.  They are not complicated.  They don’t ask a lot of you.  They simply
lay out how I would like the list to be conducted on a daily basis.  If you are
not adult enough or responsible enough to follow these basic rules, than you,
perhaps, should remove yourself from public lists entirely because, as far as I
know, most lists do have a list of rules that are sent to subscribers.  I was
very careful in how I worded my rules because I wanted folks to fully
understand what can and cannot be discussed here and the reasons why.  I wanted
a very smooth list with well defined topics so that the list doesn’t get
cluttered with chatter, as many of us are subscribed to several lists and don’t
have time for a social list.  I let things slide when a good discussion is
going, and I generally have found that the members here don’t have to be
policed by moderators.

    So, with that said, Android and other non-Apple topics are not welcomed
here.  Plain and simple.  Read the rules and you will see what can and cannot
be discussed on this list.  If you are talking about or desire to waste your
time switching to a fractured and disjointed OS like Android in which there is
more confusion and dissatisfaction out there, that is your problem.  Just don’t
bother me or this list with your choice and quietly go on your way.  There are
other lists out there in which you can sing the praises of a privacy abusing
company like Google and discuss their stolen OS, and get your questions
answered there.

    As for iOS 7, half the issues I am reading about come down to user error
and the simple matter of not reading about the upgrade before it is actually
done.  There are bugs.  There are changes to the interface.  This is the
reality of the world.  iOS 7 was a major rewrite to  the entire interface, and
thus, with it comes bugs and other problems.  The information is out there for
you to make your own educated decision.  Read it carefully and know what you
are getting into before you upgrade.  If you are prepared and know what to
expect, the upgrade will be fine and you, as a human being, will adapt fine to
the changes and new ways of doing things  like everything else in life.  I’m
not trying to sound harsh or cold here, but honestly, at this point, there are
at least a dozen places out there in which you can read about iOS 7 and
Applevis has a running tab on bugs and the like.  Of course, you can ask
questions on this list and contact me or, at least, five other folks I know of
on this list privately as well if you want some help or tips.

     Armed with knowledge is always the best way to approach any project.  If
you think the bugs are too troubling or you want to hold off until iOS 7.02,
that is your choice, and certainly your right to do.  I wouldn’t tell anyone
what they should do for themselves.  There is nothing wrong with being an early
adopter at all, but by being one, you also have to be aware of what you are
adopting.

   I have upgraded to iOS 7 and I have no problems with the upgrade.  Were
there problems?  Did I have moments of disconcerted reactions when I couldn’t
find something?  Of course, but instead of declaring that Apple has abandoned
accessibility or has somehow betrayed us, the blind, as I am practically
reading some saying on other lists, I took the time to read and figure out
where things were moved or how to put things back to how they were before iOS
7.  I can list at least a half a dozen bugs, but I also know from experience of
having gone through several other iOS upgrades that Apple will fix the problems
in the end.  As my father says, this too shall pass, and folks will adapt and
get used to iOS 7 until the next major upgrade and we can start the fun all
over again.

Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL FOR MAC OSX Mountain Lion and LION