[mac4theblind] Re: How many people are using Fink?

  • From: Will Smith <wilsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks,

I'll sign up for the list.

Will

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, John J. Boyer wrote:

Will,

You can download a disk image from http://fink.sourceforge.net, burn it
and install it. however, I'm not sure how well this will work, and I
can't give you any advice on it. your best course would be to go to the
fink site and sign up for the fink beginners mailing list.

John

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 01:26:12PM -0400, Will Smith wrote:

I am  just getting started with the Mac Mini and wonder if you can get
this set up from a CDROM?  I am interested in this and would want to learn
more about it.

Will
wilsmith@xxxxxxxxx
 On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, John J. Boyer wrote:

Hello,

How many people on this list are using Fink? It is a port of Debian
Linux to Mac OS X. With it, you have almost the full capabilities of
Linux available on your Mac, without interfering with the Mac's normal
function and without the need for dual boot. You can use it from a
terminal window with VoiceOver. I am using it through ssh from my Elba,
which is a braille PDA.

Fink works on the Mac-mini and the iBook just fine. you must install the
Xcode tools from the oSX CD. The url for Fink is:
http://fink.sourceforge.net .

John

--
John J. boyer; Executive Director, Chief Software Developer
Computers to Help People, Inc.